• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

OMF-funded RBC Deformability Paper Published!

Murph

:)
Here's an interesting one. Paracetamol can make your red blood cells stretchy. I take paracetamol before I do any activity. I believe (n=1, data source highly subjective, but over many repetitions) it reduces my PEM. This could be why?

IN-VITRO EFFECTS OF PARACETAMOL ON RHEOLOGICAL PROPERTIES OF ERYTHROCYTES AND ITS ANTIOXIDANT PROPERTIES
Article(PDF Available) in International Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences and Research7(2):1000 - 1008 · February 2016 with 55 Reads
Export this citation

Yousif Bilto

• University of Jordan
Abstract
Human erythrocytes were pre-incubated in vitro with paracetamol and then erythrocyte's rheological properties of deformability, osmotic fragility and aggregation were evaluated after being compromised by various means. Paracetamol (1, 2, 4mg/ml) significantly prevented the loss of deformability through 5m diameter pores of erythrocytes dehydrated with hypertonic buffer or with calcium ionophore A23187 at 4 mg/ml. When the potassium ionophore valinomycin was used to induce cell dehydration, paracetamol (4mg/ml) also prevented partially the loss of deformability. Paracetamol (4mg/ml) also decreased significantly erythrocyte osmotic fragility induced by hypotonic saline, and prevented significantly the aggregation of erythrocytes induced by dextran 70.

The antioxidant properties of paracetamol was studied by chemical assays and found to be as follows: total antioxidant capacity (88.9 µg AAE/mg), reducing power (A 0 at 700 nm= 1.0 compared to 3.0 for Vit. C), DPPH scavenging activity (IC 50 = 62.5 µg/ml compared to 5.8 for Vit. C), OH· scavenging activity (IC 50 = 40.2 µg/ml compared to <10 for catecholamin), iron chelating (IC 50 = 144.6 µg/ml compared to 17.3 for EDTA) and Paracetamol at 1, 2, 4, 5 mg/ml also prevented significantly lipid peroxidation in a concentration dependent manner of human erythrocytes incubated with H 2 O 2.

The observed rheological and anti-lipid-peroxidant effects of paracetamol could be explained by its antioxidant activity, thus protecting membrane integrity and deformability. The results suggest that paracetamol could have a rheologically useful role on erythrocytes, preventing dehydration, aggregation and lipid-peroxidation, that may contribute positively to its analgesic and antipyretic effects.

(PDF) IN-VITRO EFFECTS OF PARACETAMOL ON RHEOLOGICAL PROPERTIES OF ERYTHROCYTES AND ITS ANTIOXIDANT PROPERTIES. Available from:https://www.researchgate.net/public...F_ERYTHROCYTES_AND_ITS_ANTIOXIDANT_PROPERTIES[accessed Dec 07 2018].

virtual

Traveller
Interesting to note that insufflated oxygen-ozone and orally drinking ozonated water is proposed as a means to normalise dysbiosis too, might be able to kill two birds with one stone;

https://www.researchgate.net/public...flation_in_patients_with_intestinal_dysbiosis

The use of ozonated water and rectal insufflation in patients with intestinal dysbiosis;
[In conclusion, the study confirmed the validity of the treatment with ozonized water combined with rectal insufflation of oxygen and ozone mixture, to control the symptoms linked to dysbiosis and to favor the restoration of proper environmental homeostasis at an intestinal microclimate level in adults.]

Ozone is very reactive and unstable, I do not believe that it will go any further than into the stomach.

S-VV

Here is a list I found of drugs with rheological properties:

Screenshot_20181207-011512.png

pattismith

pentoxifylline is an adenosine reuptake inhibitor (it blocks adenosine entry in cells),
which means increased blood adenosine and activation of the adenosine receptors.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adenosine_reuptake_inhibitor
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equilibrative_nucleoside_transporter

it would be interesting to study if the low deformability may be related to low blood adenosine (it was finded low in the naviaux study, and IMP/cAMP were found low in the last study here:

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/ind...ox-imbalance-in-disease-symptomatology.62445/

Murph

I posted earlier in this thread about the study saying we should eat chocolate for healthy blood cells but I've been finding there is a lot of serious work on the effects of certain compounds in cocoa, called flavanols, on vascular function.

This randomised, controlled, double-blinded trial found very positive impacts. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26013912

According to various studies, the relevant flavanol is called epicatechin. It is also high in apples, berries and tea.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6115745/

If you're keen on the upsides of cocoa without the downsides of sugary chocolate, choose non-Dutch cocoa. The word dutch refers to a manufacturing process that removes the good flavanols.

Neunistiva

After taking maximum allowed dosage of paracetamol daily for 10 days after brain surgery I had the only remission in 10 years of being sick with ME/CFS.

It could have also been the constant saline IV, or bedrest or just a random coincidence, but there's that.

Also, I always eat large amounts of 80%+ dark chocolate, from various countries, but that never helped a bit, nor stopped me from constantly getting worse and ending up severe and bedridden.

Last edited:

kangaSue

virtual

Traveller
I found intranasal red light improved my sleep.

What kind of device do you use? How long? Have you checked the cellular level of the blood - was there a change (e.g. less clotting)? Just curious - because I think Photobiomodulation is quite interesting...

sb4

What kind of device do you use? How long? Have you checked the cellular level of the blood - was there a change (e.g. less clotting)? Just curious - because I think Photobiomodulation is quite interesting...
I use this one, although it is very expensive for an 810nm LED flashing at a certain frequency. If you are so inclined you could probably build one for much cheaper, indeed I remember coming across a website with instructions on how to do so.

I would use it for an half an hour session before bed and notice significant improvements to my, at the time, very poor sleep. I even managed to somewhat blind myself to an experiment with this.

I think my device was a little faulty in that it wouldn't warn me if battery was low. I noticed my sleep had deteriarated again and didn't realise I was out of battery. When I relized and replaced the battery my sleep improved again.

You could easily say that was placebo but it gets better. One time this happened I accidentally replaced the old batteries with more old batteries. No sleep improvement. When I realised a few days later and put in new ones, sleep improved!

I have stopped using it these last few months as my sleep has been decent and I also mess around with other IR lights however I might just have to start it up again...

Murph

I use this one, although it is very expensive for an 810nm LED flashing at a certain frequency. If you are so inclined you could probably build one for much cheaper, indeed I remember coming across a website with instructions on how to do so.

I would use it for an half an hour session before bed and notice significant improvements to my, at the time, very poor sleep. I even managed to somewhat blind myself to an experiment with this.

I think my device was a little faulty in that it wouldn't warn me if battery was low. I noticed my sleep had deteriarated again and didn't realise I was out of battery. When I relized and replaced the battery my sleep improved again.

You could easily say that was placebo but it gets better. One time this happened I accidentally replaced the old batteries with more old batteries. No sleep improvement. When I realised a few days later and put in new ones, sleep improved!

I have stopped using it these last few months as my sleep has been decent and I also mess around with other IR lights however I might just have to start it up again...

So is intranasal illumination just shoving a red light up your nose? What's the hypothesis on how it works? I'm curious, but skeptical.

virtual

Traveller

I don't think it is placebo. See study above.

sb4

@Murph Its because you have a ton of blood that goes through the nose and sits just behind it and the skin is very thin there. The mechanism of action is through IR light acting on the blood I think. Now its a long time since I looked this up but basically IR can increase ATP function through "activation" of cytochrome C oxidase in the mito. Only things in blood that have mito are plateletts and white blood cells. So you can at least reduce clumping via this.

I also think that IR light has significant effects on water, ie structuring but that is more speculative and complex.

Some also say it goes into the brain which I can believe as IR light has good penetration through tissues. I am sure theres some other effects of IR on the blood too.

@virtual Yeah I don't think it's placebo either my friend.

Murph

@Cort has an excellent blog up on how this research fits into the big picture.

https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2...ocirculation-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-me-cfs/

I'm really warming to the vascular theory of me/cfs. Since the very beginning my troubles have been exercise and alcohol. They seem so different and yet their effect on was so similar. What they have in common is vasodilation.

For ages I was thinking it had to be a failing endothelial layer in the blood vessels, but problems with red blood cells makes just as much sense.

S-VV

If microvascularity/oxygenation is a problem, CO2 could help a lot, as it is both a vasodilator and shifts the oxyhemoglobin curve to the right, meaning RBC cede their O2 more easily.

S-VV

Additionally:

Changes of RBC aggregation in oxygenation deoxygenation pH dependency and cell morphology

In the oxygenation-deoxygenation process, the rate of rouleaux formation increased with rising pH of the RBC suspension, which was lowered in the presence of CO2

gregh286

@Cort has an excellent blog up on how this research fits into the big picture.

https://www.healthrising.org/blog/2...ocirculation-chronic-fatigue-syndrome-me-cfs/

I'm really warming to the vascular theory of me/cfs. Since the very beginning my troubles have been exercise and alcohol. They seem so different and yet their effect on was so similar. What they have in common is vasodilation.

For ages I was thinking it had to be a failing endothelial layer in the blood vessels, but problems with red blood cells makes just as much sense.

Yea would make sense. Rising HR dramatically in exercise highlighting RBC inability to carry 02 properly.
Would we not all have reynauds? Do reynauds people experience fatigue?
Numbness and tingling a MASSIVE marker for me. Direct relationship with energy. Thank God for ALA.
So many overlaps with other disorders.

Last edited:

sb4

A commentor on Corts blog suggested that oxidative stress on RBC would cause heme oxidation and result in the body producing less heme. The only 2 bloodworks I have results for both show below range mean cell haemaglobin concentration. Could this be evidence of oxidative stress on RBC.

The same comentator goes on to say that this will then lead on to problems with cerebral spinal fluid / brain stem, so there is another massive link to CCI / Chiari.

Interestingly I have long thought my major problems are with poor blood flow. It explains my terrible heart pounding, and instant lactic acid buildup, as well as potentially many of my other symptoms..

Anyone else have low mean cell haemoglobin concentration?