• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Numbness in face/arm and stroke like symptoms but not a stroke

Tulip

Arrgghhh I have been plagued by this since september last year, when I did think I was having a stroke and called an ambulance (twice) and went to hospital. Those symptoms also included the loss of my peripheral vision as well. They couldn't find what was wrong. I get this to when i'm having an attack of svt, but I also get it with no svt which is what I currently have. The symptoms I currently have (last 40 min) are partial numbness in my left arm, my face and my lips.

I know that stroke like symptoms can be apart of severe M.E., but does anyone on here them to?.

rlc

hi tuliip, just a thought but have you ever been tested for type 2 diabetes, it could cause the symptoms your discribing, all the best

filfla4

I got similar symptoms last winter, particularly the facial numbness. With me I believe it was an allergic reaction to an anti-inflammatory drug (Mobic) I had just started. It lasted about 24hrs but was pretty scary.

Athene

ihateticks.me
Have you been tested for Lyme disease? It causes stroke like symptoms, particularly in the face where it resembles balls palsy. The milder form is numbness but without paralysis. The symptoms can wax and wane constantly even over a really short period of time.

It also can make you lose peripheral vision. When I had my eyes tested by an ophthalmologist she found the loss of peripheral vision mild, but she knew all about Lyme disease and its effects on the eyes. I was amazed - you never find a doctor this well informed about Lyme! Lyme can do a lot of bad things to your eyes so a thorough eye checkup could be a good idea.

Tulip

Hi,

No it's not Lyme disease either, I am in Australia and we "officially" do not have the disease here..

It's definately from the me/cfs as it is an me/cfs symptom.

Athene

ihateticks.me
Lyme in Australia

Funny how I keep meeting Australians in Lyme disease online forums who have flown abroad to get diagnosis and treatment! You should read what they say about this "official" line on Lyme disease.
I think enough foreign animals have been imported to Astralia and turned loose that it is impossible for a disease as widespread as Lyme disease not to have come with them.

leaves

I have the numbness... I know when I take too muck b6 (and to little b12) it gets worse

Hi Tuliip,

I definitely have alot of numbness. It started with the right side of my face. When I smile for photos the right side of my mouth doesn't go up as much as the left, leaving me with a strange look on my face, lol. That side of my face is pretty much permenantly numb to some degree. I have also had lots of numbness in my arms, legs, back/shoulders, feet, and the rest of my face. It seems to come and go, but I have become so used to it that I barely even notice. I have had cases where I have been getting blisters on my feet (when I was well enough to walk around more) from new shoes, and didn't notice until they get really bad!! My poor feet were just shredded. I refer to those shoes as my 'feet shredders' now. So I have to really pay attention to my feet now.

I have heard of people who have burned themselves with heat packs that were too hot, but they didn't feel it. I'm pretty sure numbness is a fairly common ME symptom. However, if it is confined to one side of the body that sounds a bit more worrisome.

My peripheral vision is reduced (I know this because I keep smashing into doorways), but I have never lost it completely. That must have been quite scarey for you.

Just on the Lyme thing. I have always thought that we don't have it here in Oz, but a little while ago I read a report about a man who died, seemingly from lyme, because he was tested overseas as positive. They couldn't get anyone in Australia to do the test because it is considered a waste of time. I think Athene is right, there are quite a few people in Oz who believe that we do have it here.

take care, ness

Carrigon

Lyme is everywhere. When birds migrate around the world, they drop the ticks. It's all over the world.

But I'm going to keep bringing this up anyway, Aspartame Poisoning! It does all this and more. And it's now in over nine thousand products. The more you ingest it, the more severe your symptoms.

Tulip

Hi Tuliip,

I definitely have alot of numbness. It started with the right side of my face. When I smile for photos the right side of my mouth doesn't go up as much as the left, leaving me with a strange look on my face, lol. That side of my face is pretty much permenantly numb to some degree. I have also had lots of numbness in my arms, legs, back/shoulders, feet, and the rest of my face. It seems to come and go, but I have become so used to it that I barely even notice. I have had cases where I have been getting blisters on my feet (when I was well enough to walk around more) from new shoes, and didn't notice until they get really bad!! My poor feet were just shredded. I refer to those shoes as my 'feet shredders' now. So I have to really pay attention to my feet now.

I have heard of people who have burned themselves with heat packs that were too hot, but they didn't feel it. I'm pretty sure numbness is a fairly common ME symptom. However, if it is confined to one side of the body that sounds a bit more worrisome.

My peripheral vision is reduced (I know this because I keep smashing into doorways), but I have never lost it completely. That must have been quite scarey for you.

Just on the Lyme thing. I have always thought that we don't have it here in Oz, but a little while ago I read a report about a man who died, seemingly from lyme, because he was tested overseas as positive. They couldn't get anyone in Australia to do the test because it is considered a waste of time. I think Athene is right, there are quite a few people in Oz who believe that we do have it here.

take care, ness

Thanks ness :) Sorry to hear you get all those sorts of symptoms to from M.E., but it does kind of make sense since it's a neurological illness.

Yeah there was a tinge of sarcasm in my "officially" we don't have lyme here lol. "Unoffically" we do as you said, but nsw health are deny deny deny. I read about that man to, his poor wife :(

Athene

ihateticks.me
Numb feet

I've had totally numb feet since I was 17, Sickness, and had similar "foot shredding" from many a pair of shoes. My skin seems to be ridiculously delicate. Do be sure to examine your feet every day!

I had a nerve test where the doctor passed an electric current along the nerves in my feet. This confirmed the signals being transmitted were extremely weak, but, it was the usual story... "There's something not normal, you don't have any of the illnesses we know of, so you'll be happy to hear that you can go home now and stop fussing about it..." (or words to that effect)