• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Novel insights of overtraining syndrome discovered from the EROS study. (Cadegiani 2019)

Murph

:)
BMJ Open Sport Exerc Med. 2019 Jun 20;5(1):e000542. doi: 10.1136/bmjsem-2019-000542. eCollection 2019.
Novel insights of overtraining syndrome discovered from the EROS study.
Cadegiani FA1, Kater CE1.
Author information

Abstract

Background:
Excessive training and inadequate recovery could cause 'overtraining syndrome' (OTS), which is characterised by underperformance and fatigue. The pathophysiology of OTS is unclear. We aimed to describe novel mechanisms and risk factors associated with OTS, and thereby facilitate its early identification and prevention, from a comprehensive joint qualitative analysis of the findings from all the four arms of the Endocrine and Metabolic Responses on Overtraining Syndrome (EROS) study.

Methods:
We compared the types and proportions of behavioural patterns of 67 evaluated parameters of OTS from 51 participants-athletes with OTS (OTS, n=14), healthy athletes (n=25) and healthy non-physically active controls (n=12). We performed overall and pairwise comparisons for statistically significant differences between the three groups (p<0.05).

Results:
A total of 44 (65.7%) markers exhibited significant differences between the three groups: 32 (72.7%) showed a loss of the conditioning effect of exercise ('deconditioning'), 7 (15.9%) showed changes exclusive to OTS, 3 (6.8%) maintained the exercise-induced conditioning effects and 2 (4.5%) revealed an exacerbation of the adaptive changes to exercises.

Conclusion:
Our findings suggest that OTS is likely triggered by multiple factors, not restricted to excessive training, resulted from a chronic energy deprivation, leading to multiple losses in the conditioning processes typically observed in healthy athletes, as a combination of 'paradoxical deconditioning' processes, which explains the gradual and marked loss of physical conditioning found in OTS. We, therefore, suggest that the term 'paradoxical deconditioning syndrome' better represents the features of this syndrome.
KEYWORDS:
fatigue; hormones; overtraining syndrome; paradoxical deconditioning syndrome; sports endocrinology; sports performance
PMID: 31297238 PMCID: PMC6590962 DOI: 10.1136/bmjsem-2019-000542

vision blue

I know theres some discussion here but Im surprised overtraining syndrome doesn't get alot more. Symptoms seem to be exactly CFS except with a trigger not all of us have. So a different stressor but same consequence

https://www.physio-pedia.com/Overtraining_Syndrome

In this link also when they go thru the various possible mechanisms of overtraining syndrome, many are those discussed for CFS

Reading a paper now- i think the paper that complied all the theories that the above link sites- that notes at the end the similarity in symptoms to cfs

One nice thing at looking at the literature for this is doeant seem to have the same stigma. The downside is people who work in sports sciences are not always the deepest thinkers But still nice to have another literature where suggested mechanisms and treatments may be relevant to cfs

I like also in that link that they deacribe that sone get too much parasympathetic activity and some get too mych sympathetic activity

Also many talk about three stages and they acknowledge if youre in the final stage (often caused by pushing it when in stage 2) that can take years to go away...

Certainly consistent with many here who report worsening when triee pushing thru it or doing the GET

An i teresting tidbit is i i believe the person who first described overtraining syndrome in the literature was the same one who coined the term “stress” in medicine