• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus?

AngelM

Does anyone have experience or knowledge of Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus? I was diagnosed with it nearly thirty years ago, but was given the impression that it wasn’t a big deal—one of those “functional” disorders. I had experienced some serious head trauma as a child and the doctor told me the NPH was more than likely a result of those injuries. Since I was asymptomatic, I dismissed it.

However, in addition to my CFS, I have more recently begun dealing with progressively worsening neuromuscular symptoms—difficulty with balance and walking. I have seen two neurologists—multiple tests and scans were done, and no abnormalities were found. As I began ruling out other conditions, I was forced to come back to the original NPH diagnosis. For the first time, I began to research the disorder and realized my symptoms were entirely consistent with early stages of NPH. I learned that the disorder is rare, not easily diagnosable, and can be reversed by shunting—if caught early enough. End stages include dementia, incontinence, and lack of mobility. But in early stages, headache, muscle weakness and gait disturbance are the prominent symptoms.

I contacted my neurologist (we had discussed NPH findings on my MRI), and asked if he could order diagnostic tests specific to NPH. His response was that the only true test for NPH was lumbar puncture, and he did not believe from observing my gait that my neuromuscular symptoms were serious enough to warrant an LP. He also told me that NPH was NOT caused by head trauma, though information from the Hydrocephalus Foundation contradicts that—stating that, though the cause of NPH is unknown, it is believed to be the result of a number of health issues, one of which is severe head trauma. The foundation also recommends that, for the best outcome, shunting should be done sooner rather than later. The fact that tests have ruled out other conditions combined with my NPH being diagnosed nearly thirty years ago tells me that my NPH-like symptoms warrant being more thoroughly investigated.

I am back again at CFS square one. One of the symptoms of NPH is chronic fatigue, so I definitely think it is worth ruling out as a contributing factor. I don’t like the idea of waiting for my symptoms to worsen. I’ve waited long enough.

From reading the stories of others with NPH. it seems that, like CFS victims, the road to getting a proper diagnosis and treatment is a long one that includes multiple doctors and neurologists. I am so worn out and frustrated at being told my symptoms are either imagined or “not serious enough” while at the same time my quality of life continues to decline. How bad do symptoms have to become before somebody will listen?

jesse's mom

I don't know! My research and neuro tell me my muscular and gait problems are spinal stenosis, and ME/CFS. I am getting a little better as I heal my gut and avoid sugar, gluten, and most carbs. Who knows?
Frustrating!

Moof

...and apparently mine are pseudo-parkinsonism, secondary to ME! I think they're guessing – I've just left it in the too-difficult tray, as there's been no major deterioration since I developed it about 12 years ago.

I've had several colleagues and two rellies with hydrocephalus secondary to cerebral palsy, but it eventually resolved after shunting. I'd never heard of NPH, in truth – it does sound worrying, though, and something you'll need to keep a close eye on.

AngelM

...and apparently mine are pseudo-parkinsonism, secondary to ME! I think they're guessing – I've just left it in the too-difficult tray, as there's been no major deterioration since I developed it about 12 years ago.

I've had several colleagues and two rellies with hydrocephalus secondary to cerebral palsy, but it eventually resolved after shunting. I'd never heard of NPH, in truth – it does sound worrying, though, and something you'll need to keep a close eye on.

I like the idea of putting stuff in the top-difficult tray. There is only so much you can deal with—and my anxiety-cup is overflowing. This may be my squewed view of life, but it feels as if I cannot afford to have confidence in the medical establishment—that I have to be on high-alert, continually researching, getting second opinions, questioning medical opinion. I think that even without ME/CFS, this constant research and second guessing would be exhausting. It seems like not that long ago I had total faith in my doctors—They acted as cheerlearders—guiding me through breast cancer, subsequent chemotherapy, and a diagnosis of ME/CFIDS. They gave me confidence that I could overcome anything. And I never doubted that they made a positive difference in my life—nothing was impossible! They are all gone now. And I’m left with an doctors with a totally different set of rules. ethics, and whose medical opinions seem based on automatic dismissal of anything they don’t understand or can’t immediately define. Frustration does not begin to define how I feel right now. Frustrated and defeated!

wastwater

I think this is one I will check out in relation to a specific gene FOXC1 (the new player in the cancer sandbox was name of paper)
A diagram I saw mentioned hydrocephalus

Beyond that I don't know much about it,it says it can be genetic or acquired

Last edited: