• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nontoxic kitchen trash bags?

My plastic trash bags smell like plastic and fragrance. What do you guys use that has no smell or offgassing issues ?
Regards, Viking

Kati

Patient in training
I use grocery bags for my trash. With the kind of recycling we do in our complex (compost, plastic, glass and paper products) there is very little trash left but non recyclable food packaging.

I also have a supply of kitchen plastic bags that are non fragrants. Those perfumed bags are deadly indeed.

perchance dreamer

Hi, @Viking. I'm trying to find 13-gallon kitchen trash bags that don't smell.

I had ordered these from Amazon, but they are scented, as some of the reviewers pointed out:

https://www.amazon.com/Glad-ForceFlex-Drawstring-Kitchen-Unscented/dp/B00ASBOPDE?th=1

I found this web site and emailed to ask if these bags are truly unscented. I got a response that they are closed until Wed., but someone will get back to me. I'll let you know.

http://www.plasticplace.com/catalogsearch/result?q=unscented 13 gallon&p=1#278

It's really hard to have fragrance sensitivities. I'm finding more and more public bathrooms are using those plug-in scent bombs, mostly, I think, so they don't have to invest in good ventilation.

My favorite gift store in Austin has started using plug-in scent, and even though I said that scents like this make me and some other people ill, the manager said, I know, and continues to use them. I don't shop there anymore.

A friend of mine had more success. Her hair salon started using aromatherapy scents, and she explained that any kind of scent like this makes her ill. They stopped using them because she complained.