• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Non-wireless DSL Modem

Womble

I am sensitive to wireless technology. I'm looking for a DSL modem with no router, which therefore won't put out any wi-fi signals.

Can you recommend a good DSL modem without a wireless router?

I don't care if it is an older modem, so long as it works.

Thank you.

Dechi

Just buy a good router and plug a wire directly into it and don't configure the wi-fi signal.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
There are many DSL modems that have no wifi.
I don't know where you are but go a computer store and ask for one.

Carl

I dislike wireless gear myself and the routers supplied by ISP's are usually wireless but do have ethernet connections which allows you to connect directly to your computer via an ethernet cable. The wireless can then be disabled.

I do use a totally wireless free router which I purchased over 10 years ago which I use instead of the router supplied by my ISP but getting such a router now could be difficult. Disabling the wireless would probably be the way to go.

I do not know why you would want only a modem, that would only handle the connection for the internet and not provide any protection for your PC. A router usually does all of that.

A router usually provides a firewall and protection which is worth having IMO. Software firewalls are not as effective or reliable.

Last edited:

Carl

What type of internet are you using? Is it some form of ADSL, fibre, cable or something else? This will affect what form of device you need.

Someone on eBay might be selling something older which does not have any wireless and that might keep the price low as most people go for wireless devices. If you need an ADSL2+ router then one could probably be found for very little if it can only be used wired.

Looking on our ebay and there are no wired routers but quite a few used wireless routers for fairly low prices.

Can you not just disable your wireless on the one that you currently have and attach via an ethernet cable?

Hip

I am sensitive to wireless technology.

Have you seen this paper by Prof Martin Pall, who suggests that calcium channel blocker drugs can mitigate electromagnetic hypersensitivity (electrosensitivity)? He says that:
various L-type calcium channel blockers can block responses to EMF exposure

The proposed mechanism by which electromagnetic radiation may cause physiological effects and symptoms in electromagnetically sensitivity people is via the activation of voltage-gated calcium channels (VGCC) in the body. See Table 1 of the study.

These physiological effects can apparently be blocked by using calcium channel blocker drugs.

So anyone who thinks they may be electromagnetically sensitivity may want to look into calcium channel blockers. An L-type calcium channel blocker drug that has been used to good effect for treating ME/CFS in general is nimodipine.

There is an article here: New Evidence: Exposure to Electromagnetic Fields Affects our Health