• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Non-Classical monocytes as one of the drivers behind Long Covid

marcjf

The video below is one of the best summaries I have seen on what we know so far about Long Covid, and it is very educational as well. In short:

* Non-classical monocytes, responsible for clearing out pathogens, are unable to digest the Covid S1 protein. They are left in a persistent active state. This is abnormal, as these monocytes are supposed to be short-lived;

* They bind to the endothelium through Fracktalkine receptors. They release a bunch of different cytokines (e.g. VEGF), leading to persistent vascular inflammation across the body;

* Furthermore, these monocytes are known to be mobilized by exercise (Reference: https://journals.physiology.org/doi/full/10.1152/ajpcell.2000.279.3.C578?view=long&pmid=10942707& ), making issues worse. And they can easily cross the blood-brain-barrier and carry the S1 protein everywhere.

It is still not clear why only some people are unable to clear this specific protein, being found months later in patients.

Management of some of the symptoms seems to be possible by blocking some of the pathways (e.g. use of statins to block Fracktalkine pathway). However, we still need to figure out a way to remove these rogue proteins.

Also, it has been suggested that a similar pathology could be involved in other chronic infections, such as Lyme, but that is just speculative at this point.

Boba

Thanks for the summary! Are u a long hauler? I am. I will watch the video later. The exercise topic is very intriguing. Would explain my course of non reconvalescence.

marcjf

Thanks for the summary! Are u a long hauler? I am. I will watch the video later. The exercise topic is very intriguing. Would explain my course of non reconvalescence.

Yes, I am a long-hauler, since May/2020.

That seems to be a big find. Although I assume there are other pathologies as well, like EBV reactivation. Long Covid is a big umbrella, and we have people reacting to certain treatments, but not others.

I hope this helps us somehow. My doctor got me started on Atorvastatin earlier this week for this reason.
It is still too early to say anything. If fracktalkines are indeed part of this equation, statins should provide relief while we deal with the viral proteins. My biggest fear though is whether there is still viral replication going on in some pockets of our body. I don't think they found any, yet.

This is the recent paper that found it, by the way: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/10.1101/2021.06.25.449905v1