• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

No "PMO" seems to have a huge impact on hpa-axis

drob31

First of all, this post is geared toward "adrenal fatigue," but it may have an impact on the hpa-axis even if there are more issues.

All of the reports, and there's 10's of thousands of them online ( https://www.reddit.com/r/NoFap/comments/2r024e/18_weeks_of_no_pmo_what_its_like/ ) if you search, are anecdotal. Infact, "science" disagrees with this phenomena. I however have experienced it first hand. It's not a cure for anything, but it seems to help allot with allowing the HPA-axis to work better.

There are many theories for this:

• Zinc deficiency corrected
  • Cortisol levels normalized
  • Dopamine issues in brain corrected
  • Testosterone levels normalized

I'm not sure what the correct answer is, but the behavior itself is ubiquitous, and at the same time taboo. Also, I think the no-PMO is mainly focused on males. I'm not sure how it related to females. With that being said, I think it's the single most important thing to make my brain work better, and reduce symptoms than anything else.

@Hip

Lolo

Mmmm I didn't know what PMO was until now.:D Sorry can't add anything to the discussion.

NotThisGuy

@drob31

Can u explain what symptoms improved?

I also read that sperm contains glutathion and carnitine... so maybe its not just hormone levels and HPA axis.

drob31

@drob31

Can u explain what symptoms improved?

I also read that sperm contains glutathion and carnitine... so maybe its not just hormone levels and HPA axis.

Basically mood and energy improve the most. I know it seems like a joke but the PMO thing is a huge movement. It's not the cause of ME, but it could cause CFS like symptoms due to either mineral difficiencies or a complex reaction from nuerotransmitters like dopamine. Some people also have an allergy to their own...

drob31

Here's the thing though. A very famous doctor in the nutrition world, Dr. Mariano claims that the reason no PMO helps is because when you PMO, it's pealing back a layer and exposing your symptoms, but PMO shouldn't cause these issues by itself.

The Chronicals

The '59 Sound
Here's the thing though. A very famous doctor in the nutrition world, Dr. Mariano claims that the reason no PMO helps is because when you PMO, it's pealing back a layer and exposing your symptoms, but PMO shouldn't cause these issues by itself.

Yet same doctor uses SSRI's , which basically farm the adrenals into exhaustion (been there, done that, done the five years withdrawal recovery)

drob31

Yet same doctor uses SSRI's , which basically farm the adrenals into exhaustion (been there, done that, done the five years withdrawal recovery)

Yeah, I don't agree with SSRI's either, or with everything he says, but he does have a good point about how PMO shouldn't give you CFS.

iwillwin1day

I did 1000 day of nofap in the past and got CES(chronic energy syndrome). I was having so much energy that I was working 18 hours a day without any tiredness!!! I miss those past days ........

Bergkamp

I get huge relapses from PMO. It causes PEM but predominantly a significant worsening of orthostatic intolerance and sympathetic overtone (adrenaline rushes, heart palps, etc.).

Honestly, of all lifestyle adjustments I made since getting ill (diet, resting, supplements etc.) quitting PMO has been the most beneficial.

drob31

I get huge relapses from PMO. It causes PEM but predominantly a significant worsening of orthostatic intolerance and sympathetic overtone (adrenaline rushes, heart palps, etc.).

Honestly, of all lifestyle adjustments I made since getting ill (diet, resting, supplements etc.) quitting PMO has been the most beneficial.

Personally I see this as related to the sensitivity/downregulation of dopamine receptors. Thyroid hormone at the right dose with the right timing seems to repair the whole feedback loop.

junkcrap50

Personally I see this as related to the sensitivity/downregulation of dopamine receptors. Thyroid hormone at the right dose with the right timing seems to repair the whole feedback loop.
Yes. I would like more information about how thyroid can repair the feedback loop. Any experience showing that? I would think the feedback loop requires months to years of no use to repair itself. From what i've read, that's what some nofap patients require.