• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ninjitsu?

I

iofiel

Hi - new....

Anyone here ever train in Ninjitsu?

I trained with an ex for a while...and for some time, I had an incredible amount of energy, and felt very peaceful.

I also lost weight and toned up incredibly quickly.

Anyone else train in martial arts when they can, and if so...how do you feel?

Sunday

I haven't, but I'd be curious to hear from those who do.

I use subliminal CDs as part of my healing thang, and have been considering getting one for karate, as the sample affirmations are "I generate and project KI energy. I flow with the energy I project" - all of which sounds useful to me.

garcia

Aristocrat Extraordinaire
:yinyang:
A true ninja blends in to his background, never revealing his form or identity.

Some have asked if I am a master of this long forgotten art, but I can neither confirm or deny that. For to do so would be to betray the code of honour each of us is bound to. :yinyang:

Mark

I've never heard of Ninjitsu before. I trained in Aikido some years ago, which I still think was highly appropriate and beneficial to me at the time because I was ready for some kind of activity and I gained a lot of self-confidence from it; however it was always pushing me, albeit very gently, and I was sadly unable to continue. I never had such a dilemma with T'ai Chi, which has always seemed to me the most balanced and fundamental form and the right place to start, (and if so, perhaps the right place to remain?). Every teacher is different in emphasis of course and some emphasise martial yang forms of T'ai Chi quite a lot more strongly than I'm used to. Beyond T'ai Chi, my personal all-time favourite is Shiatsu, I am still feeling the benefits of yesterday's treatment, and I could never have contemplated something like Aikido without it.

As a treatment option, for people who can't exercise at all without PEM, I found Shiatsu to be wonderful, because the practitioner effectively does the exercise for you, and the balanced and blissful feeling that follows a session has to be experienced to be believed.

dipic

Can't tell if serious or not...

(or whether guy above me is a robot)

Tal

Can't tell if serious or not...

(or whether guy above me is a robot)

The world is changing my friend... I'm a robot too.

[System Error Code for AR107 not found.
WARNING Bot malfunctioning!
System has become self aware]

Gavman

I trained in ninjutsu for a while. I didn't get decent at it until i started stretching more. Its stayed in there though.
As far as effective training, i think its not effective until you spend a long time doing it. I moved to kickboxing which was effective very easily.
But the ninjutsu training i find is very cerebral, you're thinking about twenty moves at once and until you have done it for a while, it doesn't seem useful self-defence wise. Makes the other arts a lot easier by comparison though. ;)

mellster

Marco
I do/did kickboxing - unfortunately it currently gives me severe PEM since CFS - not all the time, but it's tough taking a chance when if it doesn't work out you spend 4-5 days in intense pain and barely functioning. Any advice greatly appreciated - maybe try to build up with tai-chi or something else at slower pace?

Valentijn

Tai Chi is a great option if you love martial arts but can't handle intense work outs. At advanced skill levels there's even sword work and such! But I don't know if it's feasible to get back to kickboxing by "building up" to it. ME isn't like being out of shape where exercise will necessarily make you stronger or give you more stamina.

You could try tracking your heart rate during workouts, then seeing how you feel afterward. If going over a certain rate makes you sick, then you can adapt to staying under that, and at least keep up your current stamina and strength, and stay in practice with the moves. You just might need to do it slowly and with more breaks.