• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Night Sweats

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
Does anyone have anything on why night sweats occur or what to do about them. I usually wake up with my upper body wet if not drenched. It started happening after I was doing some neck stretches. Oddly enough they triggered a bizarre array of symptoms - nausea, fatigue, MCS, went way up, nightsweats..... It took me months to figure out that those stretches were it.

I asked Dr. Perrin about it -he said something was going on with my neck (no doubt) - that general area is where he thinks alot of our problems are. Somewhere I tweaked something in there. Anyway the flareup died but here I am two years later and I'm getting nightsweats regularly.

Anybody have a handle on them?

Jody

One theory is that the body is trying to get rid of toxins through the sweat.

Is it hot sweat or cold sweat?

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
I used to know something about this. There is research on it. I'll see if I can dredge it up. What pops into my head is the vagus nerve (it is often a culprit or a hero) and catecholemines. Take a look at the Wiki map of the vagus nerve in the head.

Sushi

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
I'm very curious about this myself. I not only have night sweats occasionally, but more frequently just sweat as if I'm having hot flashes. My testosterone is fine, my thyroid is suppose to be fine, but they started coming on about 6 months ago and they want to stick around. Although it is hot outside, I only have to do very little activity and I'll soak a t-shirt in 10 min. I sweat mostly from my head and down my spine, but have felt like I was sweating from every pore in my body. It is very aggravating as I can take shower and break out in a sweat just drying off.
I had read somewhere recently that a gentleman was having severe sweating problems and his dr had prescribed him Clonidine in a low dose and it stopped, or should say, put his sweating back into a normal perspective.
I'm even trying Black Cohosh to see if it helps, but it has been 3 -4 weeks without any noticeable results.
Clonidine is used for lowering blood pressure from what I briefly read. I'm not sure how it might be useful in reducing sweating. Especially when my blood pressure is usually right in the normal range.
Any other thoughts greatly appreciated.

Sushi

Moderation Resource Albuquerque
Low dose clonidine is also prescribed for dysautonomia even for those who already have low BP. For some it is helpful but it was a disaster for me--much more fatigue even though at low dosage it didn't lower my BP. So this is just to say that there is a known link to the autonomic nervous system with clonidine. I can't remember the rationale though.

Sushi

Frickly

detox?

When I started my supplementations I had a detox reaction that caused alot of sweating. For several weeks I had to take a shower twice a day. It did go away as my body adjusted. When I was at my sickest, I would have fevers and sweating when I over did it (felt fluish). I guess there could be lots of different reasons for this problem.