• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Niacin Sauna Protocol

Dallase1

Has anyone had any success with the Niacin Sauna protocol? Dr. Dan Root and others advocate for it.

@Dallase1 and @junkcrap50 It is ambitious, and far more tricky to do without over-doing, than is at first apparent. Moreso as I still use a wheelchair around my apartment, but am trying to work my way out of that.

I'm attempting a modified version of this now. Basically, as I understand it, use niacin to create a full flush (as body accomodates you keep increasing it by 100mg B3 per day), exercise (hence the first need to modify - so I do an old time 5BX with 'running on spot' as the last and stop when dictated by heartrate so I don't PEM), then sauna, then binders/coffee enema, and cool bath to wash off the toxins/sweat.

There are a few cautions, including: about niacin (non-flush version is not suitable, or healthy, for this protocol), and then all the risks of over-exerting. Dehydration and electrolyte imbalances are a big risk that must be carefully managed. I track my food and water. I also take an electrolyte supplement 'prescribed' by my naturopath. I also check with my clinic before.

It is supposed to help with mold detox and chemical detox. There are variations online, but also search Hubbard Protocol. There were some PubMed papers, but I can 't find them.

disclaimer
{FTR I am not endorsing anything, and some will have a fit over the named source, but doctors/clinics have used the protocol to detox people after the WorldTrade Centre/911 exposure that caused debilitating symptoms in rescue workers. The paper that described it used the waitling list for the treatment program as a a control. This study is the one that describes these results}.

Last edited:

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I'm attempting a modified version of this now. Basically, as I understand it, use niacin to create a full flush (as body accomodates you keep increasing it by 100mg B3 per day), exercise (hence the first need to modify - so I do an old time 5BX with 'running on spot' as the last and stop when dictated by heartrate so I don't PEM), then sauna, then binders/coffee enema, and cool bath to wash off the toxins/sweat.

I don't know. That doesn't sound safe for someone with ME. Just my opinion.

I've been diagnosed with ME but have been seeing a functional medicine physician and clinic so am getting treatment. I have improved enough to get me to where I can try this, but even with my best attempts at careful heartrate monitoring, it is easy to trigger PEM/PENE. And don't forget - where there's detox there's Herx! So, you need to account for that AND PEM.

I don't know. That doesn't sound safe for someone with ME. Just my opinion.

I agree @Judee. And 'the dose makes the poison' applies to be sure. I definitely would not recommend someone try it on a whim without proper supports (I have a good doctor and naturopath and clinic to guide me). I'm working to come back from being mostly bedbound. I've had improvements over 18 months, as before I started the idea of a sauna alone with the temperature changes was unthinkable let alone so many other moving parts.

My previous state was far more unsafe with the level of debility than what I'm currently attempting, so it is about carefully considering what one does with and to their body, getting professional advice, and monitoring.

Is it helping? Overall yes. Easy - very much no.