• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

News: "The NIH has poured $1 billion into long Covid research — with little to show for it." (gee, no interest in a chronic condition- not surprising)

Annikki

For inexplicable reasons, an amply funded NIH has precisely nothing to show for the billion dollars it received for long Covid research, according to a new article. They seem to be dragging their feet about it, there are no therapies for patients and no answers for this neglect are forthcoming. Worse, the article states that,
"A huge chunk of funding to study a chronic illness like long Covid is rare, so any clinical trials that the NIH chooses to run are crucial choices — and some doctors and advocacy groups have voiced serious concerns about the selection of one clinical trial in particular. That trial would test exercise as a potential long Covid treatment, despite years of research suggesting that exercise could harm patients and set back further study." Sound familiar? Read the full article here:
https://www.statnews.com/2023/04/20/long-covid-nih-billion/

Last edited:

BrightCandle

$4 million on an exercise trial run by people who have never heard of PEM and are doing nothing about that, sure is familiar. The NIH budget request this year Long Covid isn't even mentioned so they have requested no money to research it further next year, so when the RECOVER money runs out end of this year that is it. All the money is accounted for now so we know they won't be doing anything useful with it.

Viala

At this point I doubt that it is a coincidence. Good money grant though. It's like CFS sequel, only that it made some people rich in this case.

Rvanson

$4 million on an exercise trial run by people who have never heard of PEM and are doing nothing about that, sure is familiar. The NIH budget request this year Long Covid isn't even mentioned so they have requested no money to research it further next year, so when the RECOVER money runs out end of this year that is it. All the money is accounted for now so we know they won't be doing anything useful with it.
Why am I not surprised? Oh yeah, 27 years of NOTHING being done about ME/CFS.:(