• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To register, simply click the Register button at the top right.

News article on "auto brewery syndrome".

Martial

Article is found here, excerpt

VICE: When did you first realize that your gut creates its own alcohol?
Matthew Hogg:
I suffered from digestive upsets throughout my childhood. I was initially diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome, but in my teens I experienced a severe worsening of symptoms, like bloating and gas after meals—so much so that I could feel the bubbling of fermentation occurring in my lower abdomen. More worryingly, I developed new, quite frightening symptoms. I would feel intoxicated, as well as exerpience a long list of whole-body symptoms, including chronic fatigue, muscular aches and pains, chronic headaches, mental impairment, mood disturbances, and so on.

Did you feel hungover afterwards?
Yeah, by my late teens I was experiencing severe alcoholic hangovers that would usually be at their worst the morning after eating a high carbohydrate meal. I'd get pounding headaches, severe nausea, occasional vomiting, dehydration, dry mouth, cold sweats, and shaky hands. It was as if I'd been out the previous night and drunk the bar dry, but I hadn't consumed any alcohol.

http://www.vice.com/read/my-gut-turns-yeast-into-alcohol?utm_source=vicefbus

Snookum96

Omg this happens to me a lot. My husband even asks me after meals how food drunk I am. I thought it was related to food intolerances or mast cells. Who knows though, seems nothing we get is well understood.

Martial

interesting, definitely something I have never heard of until now. Yet seems to have common symptom ties with other chronic illnesses in some regard. So is it a guess to state this could be the result of full system candida infection? I think South also mentioned that, if that was the case after so long being diagnosed. As well as the kind of person you would have to see to get this properly diagnosed. It stands to wonder how he could still be sick, if it was simply treated with prescribed high doses of anti fungals ,changing the diet, and re forming a proper gut colony.

Last edited:

PeterPositive

I have had similar problems but none of the comprehensive stool analysis I've done ever reported positivity for any yeast infection. Just minor imbalances of the good flora, not even particularly bad. Yet I cannot tolerate any yeast, not even from a mile away and probiotics usually make me feel bad, with the exception of bifidobacteria which don't cause bad reactions, but also don't help.

It's a complicated issues...

whodathunkit

I have read about people who have this problem getting arrested and convicted of DUI, because there's even enough alcohol on their breath to register on the breath meter administered by law enforcement.

I've literally caught a buzz off of a cheeseburger/fries/milkshake meal. It never happened a lot, though, and hasn't happened in long time.