• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

News and views in [ME/CFS]: The role of co-morbidity and novel treatments. (Comhaire and Deslypere; in Press / 2020)

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
Link to the article, open access

News and views in myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS): The role of co-morbidity and novel treatments
Author links open overlay panelF.ComhaireaJ.P.Deslypereb1
Show more
https://doi.org/10.1016/j.mehy.2019.109444Get rights and content
Under a Creative Commons license
open access

Abstract
Though affecting many thousands of patients, myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) should be considered an orphan disease, since the cause remains elusive and no treatment is available that can provide complete cure. There is reasonable insight into the pathogenesis of signs and symptoms, and treatments specifically directed to immunological, inflammatory and metabolic processes offer relief to an increasing number of patients. Particular attention is given to the importance of co-morbidity requiring appropriate therapy. Promising results are obtained by treatment with Metformin, or possibly Momordica charantia extract, which will correct insulin resistance, with Meldonium improving the transportation of glucose into the mitochondria, with sodium dichloroacetate activating pyruvate dehydrogenase, and with nutraceutical support reducing oxidative and inflammatory impairment.

percyval577

nucleus caudatus et al
This thread didn't generate much conversation.
I should have outlined the practical things (I had forgotten to do so b/c of my own evolving treatment):

Promising results are obtained by treatment
with Metformin, or possibly Momordica charantia extract, which will correct insulin resistance,
with Meldonium improving the transportation of glucose into the mitochondria,
with sodium dichloroacetate activating pyruvate dehydrogenase, and
with nutraceutical support reducing oxidative and inflammatory impairment.
The article is not too uninteresting in general respects either. Nice read.

Rufous McKinney

I had previously seen this abstract...but need to check out the body, thanks for including.

Considering DCA, thats a pricey supplement, dang.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Considering DCA, thats a pricey supplement, dang.
This study apparently found a way to distinguish prospectively between ME/CFS responders and non-responders to sodium dichloroacetate - unfortunately, to get the full text, you have to pay $36.00: https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0306987718307734?via=ihub:

In a prospective trial including 35 ME/CFS patients, logistic regression analysis with stepwise elimination has identified 6 pre-treatment characteristics allowing for the differentiation between responders (n = 13) and non-reponders (n = 22) with high accuracy (P < 0.0001; area under the ROC-curve = 0.92). A formula was derived generating the probability of belonging to the group of responders. This finding may assist in selecting ME/CFS patients suitable for treatment with DCA, but requires further studies as to the predictive capacity of the derived formula.

I don't know if there's a way to get the text without paying for it - I couldn't find a way --

eta: I just took a look at the S4me link provided above by @percyval577 and found they discuss this study in that thread, and there is a large amount of skepticism about it, so I'm thinking probably not worth spending $36 to take a look at it!

dreamydays

For that price just buy the cheapest bottle of DCA powder from DCA-LABS and know for sure. Didn't work for me, but has the feel of something that can work for a select few and some actual research behind it. Look for me thread on it from a year or two ago.

Annikki

Insulin resistance is associated with hormonal imbalance, namely estrogen dominance. Really I don't know if this explains anything but it is worth mentioning.