• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New Scientist: We are finally starting to understand brain fog and how to treat it

Revel

@Hip, my feeling from reading those first 3 paragraphs was that the article is a bit of a "fluff" piece, plugging a book published in 2021, and letting us know there is hope on the horizon, thanks to the emerging field of long Covid research, but without going into too much useful detail.

It certainly didn't inspire me to subscribe, but hopefully someone here will have access to the full article (and I would be happy for my gut instinct to be proven wrong!).

I thought l would look up the book mentioned in the article. Here's an Amazon review (it should be borne in mind that the book was written just prior to CBT/GET being blackballed by NICE later that year, but I would side eye any doctor who wasn't already aware of PACE and its failings by 2021):

20220610_075535.jpg

Hip

@Hip, my feeling from reading those first 3 paragraphs was that the article is a bit of a "fluff" piece

Yes, they often are in the New Scientist, so I don't think we are going get any great medical revelations in this article. But if someone has institutional access via their university, it would be interesting to see what it does say.

Before the Internet took off 20 years ago, I used to have 5 or 6 newsagent shops within a few minutes walk of me, where I could pick up a magazine like this from the shelves, and scan the article in the shop without paying. But now the local newsagents have all but gone.

godlovesatrier

Does anyone have access who can read it and let us know what it says? You know just in case.

I really hate these paywalls. Have you tried brave browser @Hip ? Or a JavaScript extension to bypass the paywall? Or even a decent as blocker. Just some thoughts. I don't have a laptop anymore so am a bit stuck!

Hip

Does anyone have access who can read it and let us know what it says? You know just in case.

I really hate these paywalls. Have you tried brave browser @Hip ? Or a JavaScript extension to bypass the paywall? Or even a decent as blocker. Just some thoughts. I don't have a laptop anymore so am a bit stuck!

The javascript trick does not work; but someone here might have institutional access.

godlovesatrier

I'll get a copy. They are often hyperbole articles. However I do love reading it and it's got some gems in sometimes.

Am I allowed to take pictures and post them here Hip or not?

Revel

If you subscribe, the first 4 weeks are free, cancel at any time. We should take it in turns to sign up when an article may be of interest. :whistle:

Hip

Am I allowed to take pictures and post them here Hip or not?

This what PR rules say:
Rule 7: Please observe copyright law

Posts may be edited in order to conform to copyright law.

If you quote information from another website, please credit the source of the quoted material. Please do not copy and paste entire articles or more than 50 percent of any article. It is good practice, and in accordance with copyright law, to copy a few sentences of an article, provide a link to the original article and provide a brief description of the article in your own words. Posting in this manner keeps the forum safe from any accusations of copyright infringement and potential legal action.

godlovesatrier

Sorry yes forgot.

So I've bought it and skim read it. You're gonna love this it recommends....wait for it:

1. A Mediterranean diet
2. Exercise
3. Good sleep

It also goes off that basis because the heart, brain and oxygen and nutrient delivery systems are working. Which we know they aren't in ME and I'm pretty confident LC is the same disease so yeah they won't in that either. Haha. I'll enjoy reading the rest of it 😃

lenora

Such a help! "Good sleep" is one of our major problems, but no ideas on how one obtains such a thing. I guess a bottle of retsina and the Mediterranean diet may help to put us to sleep....but staying there? Lenora