• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New possible diagnostic method for CFS or ME.

Good afternoon,
I've been sick and I haven't been able to participate much in the forum. I have added other tests that would help in the diagnosis of CFS, especially for the Epstein Barr virus infection subgroup.

1. Activated T lymphocytes (CD3+, HLA-DR+), (CD4+, HLA-DR+): A low level of activated T lymphocytes indirectly indicates a decrease in the antigenic presentation of HLA-II. This decrease in CD4+ HLA-DR+ T lymphocytes can be seen in other EBV-associated diseases, for example in children with EBV-associated haemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis. This is caused by the latent proteins of this virus in antigen-presenting cells.

2. Molecular typing of the HLA system: to verify the existence of certain HLA alleles predisposed to develop EBV-associated diseases. For example: HLA-DR15 and HLA-DQ6 predispose to develop multiple sclerosis but together with more factors. Depending on the type of HLA, it will indicate a greater or lesser genetic susceptibility to having difficulties in controlling this infection. HLA-DR would be the most interesting type of HLA in this case, because DR is a molecular type of class II MHC.

3. IgG antibodies against nuclear antigen (IgG anti-EBNA): these antibodies against this latent protein must be elevated due to a chronic latent infection, as in multiple sclerosis.

4. Increased CD4+ CD25+ FOXP3+ T reg lymphocytes in infected mucosa and blood.

5. Increase of T reg lymphocytes CD4+ CD25+ CCR7- These are the ones that remain in the tissues, and due to the infection an increase takes place.

6. Decrease of T reg lymphocytes CD4+ CD25+ CCR7+. These are the ones that recirculate through the lymph nodes. The infection decreases the expression of CCR7+.

7. Decrease in C3 and/or C4 levels occurs in infections. If C4a is elevated it indicates chronic inflammation.

8. Elevation of TGF-B and Il-10 by increased T reg.

9. Elevation of specific IgA against Epstein Barr in intestinal mucosa. Especially in the biopsies of terminal ileum, since it is in the small intestine where they are secreted. The most effective neutralizing antibodies against viruses that infect the host through the mucous membranes are usually of the igA isotype, since they block the virus in the mucous membrane itself, preventing it from accessing its target cell.

Tests 1,2,4,5,6,7,8 should be present in most CFS patients, as other pathogens also evade the immune system in this way. These pathogens manage to generate an acquired functional immunodeficiency through the expression deficit of class II molecules of the major histocompatibility complex. Although some also manage to decrease the class I molecules of the MHC. In other subgroups of SFC for other pathogens it would be necessary to look for specific IgA against the pathogen that we want to see in the intestinal biopsies.

If you want to know more about this, I recommend reading this thread.

Greetings.

Wolfcub

Thank you very much @Manuel
This is really good information. I am a bit :sleep: at the moment but when I am more :whistle: I will re-read all this because there is a lot of interesting stuff here, and it's appreciated. Plus I'd like to tread that thread too.

mattie

The title does not match the post at all.
That is in no way a "diagnostic method" for ME / CFS.
Not even close. It's a scraped together hypothesis at best.

Better to leave the science to the scientists.
So much confusion on this board already.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3

Yeah, I think a lot of us are watching daily for news of researchers finding a diagnostic bio-marker and when I clicked on this, that's what I was hoping it was.

Last edited:
That is in no way a "diagnostic method" for ME / CFS.
Not even close. It's a scraped together hypothesis at best.

Better to leave the science to the scientists.
So much confusion on this board already.

Good morning,
My intention is not to confuse anyone, but to provide the information that I have collected during all these years that I have studied Medicine. Believe me, behind everything I say has taken a lot of work and I do not say things lightly. I put a new method of diagnosis because for now I have not seen anyone doing those markers, plus this is an extension of my work you see in this thread. But if you want I put possible method of diagnosis, so that there are no problems. I invite you to read all the information I provide in the other thread and if you have doubts about anything I will be happy to resolve them and always with scientific documentation.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I'm sorry. It's probably very good info I just don't know how I would present it to my doctor and whether she would be open to doing the testing or even know how to interpret the results.

You probably know more about this disease than she does.

If you have any suggestions I would appreciate. :)