• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New OMF funded paper: "Lessons From Heat Stroke for Understanding ME/CFS"

SWAlexander

On behalf of Open Medicine Foundation, I'm pleased to share that a new research publication, authored by myself and colleagues, has been published in Frontiers in Neurology: “Lessons From Heat Stroke for Understanding Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.”

To better understand ME/CFS, we compared this disease to another inflammatory condition: heat shock. Although heat shock is an acute condition, it shares with ME/CFS many commonalities in physiological responses to various stressors. There are multiple novel therapeutics that are under development to treat heat shock. My colleagues and I suggest that future research is necessary to explore these similarities to potentially identify novel treatments for ME/CFS. As a result of this initial comparison, there were multiple similarities identified. First, heat stroke is an inflammatory response from an external stressor, which produces endogenous (coming from inside the body) toxins, and not the result of exogenous (external factor) pathogens. In heat stroke, a sequence and causality results from the physiological disturbances in body systems that create many features seen in ME/CFS. Lastly, these inflammatory responses can be perpetuated as a “vicious cycle” and in this case, relate to intestinal injury. Potentially, novel approaches to interrupt the vicious cycle could be important to developing new therapeutics for ME/CFS.
To learn more about our study, read the complete paper here.

Vicious circle might explain why ppl appear to recover from a wide variety of drugs or treatments that doesnt work for others. E.g whats the connection between rituximab and yoga, both appear to recover some pwme.

Last edited:

Oliver3

On behalf of Open Medicine Foundation, I'm pleased to share that a new research publication, authored by myself and colleagues, has been published in Frontiers in Neurology: “Lessons From Heat Stroke for Understanding Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.”

To better understand ME/CFS, we compared this disease to another inflammatory condition: heat shock. Although heat shock is an acute condition, it shares with ME/CFS many commonalities in physiological responses to various stressors. There are multiple novel therapeutics that are under development to treat heat shock. My colleagues and I suggest that future research is necessary to explore these similarities to potentially identify novel treatments for ME/CFS. As a result of this initial comparison, there were multiple similarities identified. First, heat stroke is an inflammatory response from an external stressor, which produces endogenous (coming from inside the body) toxins, and not the result of exogenous (external factor) pathogens. In heat stroke, a sequence and causality results from the physiological disturbances in body systems that create many features seen in ME/CFS. Lastly, these inflammatory responses can be perpetuated as a “vicious cycle” and in this case, relate to intestinal injury. Potentially, novel approaches to interrupt the vicious cycle could be important to developing new therapeutics for ME/CFS.
To learn more about our study, read the complete paper here.
Wonder where this puts the trap theory.
For me the stomach issues deffo relate to vasoconstriction.
This also seems connected to the cell danger response and there being some kind of switch. Anyone have any ideas on treatments in the works