• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New mystery illness after mosquitos, pesticide and travel. Would appreciate ID/opinions :)

Tiger Lily 813

Good Afternoon,

I was hoping to get some insight from others as I've found myself with a new mystery illness yet again :/ I do have a lyme doctor, am starting with a new MCAS doctor and have conventional people on deck too, but sometimes patients know more :)

I spent a month in Wilmington, North Carolina with an abundance of mosquitos (I got 8 bites), roaches and interior and exterior roach spraying. A week or so after all of this took place, I developed sudden symptoms of weakness, mostly in my legs, that were the worst in the morning and seemed to go away entirely for awhile and then came back ten days later, after which it has been fluctuating but consistently present. The main problem is in my legs and sometimes my hands. I have had pain in my neck at times, joint pain one day and back pain. In the morning, I have some mild dizziness/coordination issues and am slow moving but not tired, really.

No other symptoms. Nothing is side-specific and everything fluctuates. Sleep and digestion are good. Bit foggy in the morning, but thinking is ok in the afternoon and evening. On the trip down, yes, I may have been exposed to covid. I was actually trying to move there so the travel was just part of what I needed to do.

Has anyone had a similar experience from mosquitos, pesticide or covid?

At the time, I was pretty healthy, I was pursuing treatment for MCAS and looking into coagulation, but my symptoms were mild and I was productive and fast moving. I do have a background with lyme illnesses. I have lots of testing to do but would super appreciate any opinions on the cause. I would say muscle weakness in my legs, then hands and morning slowness are my chief concerns, in that order. I was not taking anything other than probiotics.

Thank you so much :)

hapl808

I had a similar worsening of my symptoms years ago. Unfortunately I don't have much to offer in the way of solutions. I would highly recommend resting as much as possible, though, and don't try to push yourself through the weakness. Also could be something like Guillain Barré, but people usually recover from that on their own eventually (I did not).

lenora

Hi Tiger Lily 813.....Would you be able to take time off and just rest in bed for a week or so? Or at least take it as easy as possible?

When I was younger DDT was used for all pesticides. Today's are supposed to be "harmless" and I hope that's true. Could you smell the pesticides in the house? If so, I would be reluctant to rent or buy anything with that odor. Some people just can't stand any little house....but forget what the pesticides could be doing to them. Roaches have to be controlled, absolutely, and so do rodents, but spiders one can easily take care of oneself.

Termites are a big problem throughout the country but the south especially. Once upon a time that old fave DDT was used to eradicate them, but now traps are set away from the home and barrier pesticides are used.

I'm sure that you'll find everything you mentioned has been had by a lot of people on this Forum. Some of us were born with congential defects that led from what illness, to the other and surgeries to correct those illnesses, which then led to ME. It's a tough illness to control and traveling certainly doesn't make any of it easier.

A neurologist is the best doctor you can go to in order to rule all other neurological illnesses. A rheumatologist can often know a lot about CFS/ME....Fibromyalgia is also something that many of us face.
There are also clinics that Specialize in CFS/ME & Fm. Good luck. Yours, Lenora.

Learner1

@Tiger Lily 813 Aside from any mosquito borne viruses which hopefully someone will test you for, the pesticide may have damaged your mitochondria or nervous system. Is there any way you can find out what got sprayed?

In any case, a functional medicine doctor would be able to help you with detoxing with glutathione, etc.. In the meantime, sweating is a good way to start detoxing - sauna, exercise, etc.

Mitochondrial repair might be worthwhile further down the road.

Tiger Lily 813

So, this got so much better over the winter and I'm mostly back to normal :) I didn't go through scans because I could tell I was improving, but I'd say it was something in the guillain barre realm (I did have that briefly as a toddler after a vaccine) but not sure what set my immune system off. When I was on that trip in the south, there were so many potential causes. I took B complex (no folic acid or folate), PC oil (for a month or so) and claritin.