• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New kids book on chronic illness

K

_Kim_

Publication date: Dec. 10, 2009

http://www.lulu.com/content/8059823
by Marc Archambault, Illustrated by Lorna Foot

You can preview the book at the above link. I liked the illustrations, but the story itself did not make much of an impact on me. However, I got to page 31 and found a passionate statement by the author.

Afterword.
Chronic Fatigue (also known as Myalgic Encephalomyelitis or CFS/ME and Fibromyalgia (FMS) and related disorders are very serious illnesses that affect millions of people worldwide. Once healthy people become chronically sore and tired; many to the point of being bedridden and in constant pain. For many sufferers, the disease is a sentence to a lifetime of torture. There is no cure and there are no universally effective treatments. There is also no definitive diagnostic test. For too many patients, in addition to their pain, they have had to endure being told "there's nothing wrong with you", and "it's all in your head" by the doctors who are supposed to be helping them. Because there are no outward signs of illness, many patients are often also thought of as lazy and prone to complaining by those who don't understand the nature of their illness. The impact on sufferers and their families is incalculable. In comparison to other diseases like cancer, very little public attention, support, or funding is given to these life shattering illnesses. But there is hope.

Recently, the Whittemore Peterson Institute has conducted groundbreaking research that has determined that a newly identified virus called XMRV has been found to be present in the majority of patients suffering from these illnesses as well as some forms of autism and some cancers. With further research it is expected that effective treatments may only be a few years away. By purchasing this book you are helping to fund much needed research into this area and bring hope to the many families affected by these terrible diseases. Thank you!

Dec. 5th, 2009 Marc Archambault

BEG

My granddaughter has a mother and grandmother who are always too tired to play. This book serves a real purpose. Thanks for the post. Would you by any chance add it to the book list thread? That would be great. Thanks so much.