• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NEW IOM Study: "countless patients harmed by wrong diagnoses"

JamBob

Wish I could say I was shocked.
Their trained that way.

I've had quite a few misdiagnoses and I still struggle with how to cope with being misdiagnosed as I think that misdiagnoses can cause all kinds of harms.

On the one hand, I feel very angry but on the other hand I feel like doctors are only human, they make human mistakes and they are badly trained in the first place so it's not really their fault. If I were them, I'd probably make mistakes too.

The most upsetting diagnoses for me arise from sexist or other prejudiced biases that lead doctors to make false assumptions about me as a patient. I don't like it when I am misdiagnosed due to assumptions about my gender - that really pisses me off.

Mary

Moderator Resource
I've had quite a few misdiagnoses and I still struggle with how to cope with being misdiagnosed as I think that misdiagnoses can cause all kinds of harms.

I understand doctors are only human - but - too many don't seem to realize that and get offended if someone questions their judgment. I think the biggest problem we CFS/ME patients encounter (besides ignorance) is a refusal to listen to us. Since we don't fit into a simple diagnostic box, we must be nuts, it's all in our heads and so on. I don't think doctors are trained to listen to patients, and that can lead to sexist and other biases as you say. It's crazy.