• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New FMS Threatment: Metformin & the insuline link

Hd-x

Researchers found a link betwenn FMS and early insuline resistance causing brain fogging, muscle pain.
It has been shown that FMS sufferers may have suboptimal insuline levels (compared with healthy persons within the same age).
it seems Metformin can help those FMS subset group:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2019/05/190507145523.htm
There is also some evidence Metformin can alter + fix gut bacteria that have been negativly affected by Diabetes 2.

Last edited:

Wonkmonk

This is interesting because a link between Herpes virus infection (HSV-1) and Fibromyalgia has been suspected (Dr. Pridgen) and I have seen one study that suggests metformin might inhibit herpes virus replication (HHV8).

https://jvi.asm.org/content/jvi/early/2016/04/28/JVI.00624-16.full.pdf

Often, medications that have activity against one herpes virus also have some activity against others, so metformin might also inhibit HSV-1, although in a quick search, I haven't found any study that tested if metformin has antiherpetic activity other than against HHV8.

Metformin is also considered very safe, and some people are taking it even without being sick for (unproven) possible anti-aging effects (e.g., Dr. David Sinclair, Harvard).

I think I am going to try it starting with a low dose (I suspect my CFS has a link to HSV-1 because of consistently very high IgG titers). Probably won't hurt.

pamojja

Metformin is also considered very safe, and some people are taking it even without being sick for (unproven) possible anti-aging effects (e.g., Dr. David Sinclair, Harvard).

I used metformin every time on my 6-week vacations to India each winter the last 7 years, to counter the effects of a higher carb-diet almost unavoidable there (up to 850 mg/d). First I struggled with digestive issues, propably the most common side-effect. But overcame. Next always with my vacation I observed a drop in serum B12 and folate, along a rise with homocysteine. Since I can feel the effects of certain doses of CoQ10, I must assume it also depletes it too. And finally I continued this year on metformin (~500 mg/d), which caused an otherwise unexpected drop in testosterone. (https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC5296448/ )

Therefore not as harmless as it seems, and precautions definitely have to be taken.

Hd-x

This is interesting because a link between Herpes virus infection (HSV-1) and Fibromyalgia has been suspected (Dr. Pridgen) and I have seen one study that suggests metformin might inhibit herpes virus replication (HHV8).
Very interesting point, I also found a study that adding metformin to interferon-alpha + ribavirin therapy was reported to increase the response rate in chronic HCV patients.
Another study showed Metformin activate type I interferon signaling pathway and inhibited hepatitis C virus (HCV) replication via activation of AMPK.

My HbA1c wasn´t that suspicious but had sometimes spikes in these m glucosetests up to 129.
So, I putted Metformin on my "Try-out-wish-list"
@pamojja
thx for sharing yours experience with metformin, will keep it in mind.

Last edited:

lenora

I'm a tiny woman who developed Diabetes 2 and was on Metformin for probably 5 yrs. No, it's not a drug you would choose to go on, everything has its side effects, vitamins included. I'm off it now, have no signs of diabetes and as always, am a very, very careful eater. Why I had it all those years ago is anyone's guess....and you get used to that as you get older and have many problems and diagnoses. I'm 73, so young I'm not; but just yesterday I was.

The best thing you can is take good care of your body. Respect it and don't put the wrong things into it. They're not good for your brain either. Yes, we grow older, but while I have many problems...and I do, I've also managed to stave off broken bones, hip and knee replacements, etc. My mind is still good, although seizures have been affecting that and I'm on some pretty strong anti-epileptic meds at the moment. My biggest problem is probably falling to one side and then over when I walk. If I get to that state, I'll use a cane to guide me. So no, Metformin is not without it's problems and you may or may not be affected by them. Yours, Lenora.