• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

new article "Taking the Scrooge out of Chronic Fatigue Syndrome"

Lily

*Believe*
Jody.....

Yet another fantastic article!! You continue to fascinate me with your talent! You say so much in so few words, and this one is espcecially poignant. Very nice:)

Thank you

blackbird

caged.
Great stuff. Will twitter it forthwith.

I think some of the zealous champions are here cutting their teeth already.

Jody

Thanks blackbird.

Twitter away. :)

As to the zealous champions, I am hoping this is so. :)

Finch

Down With the Sickness
Yes, Jody! Yesterday I found myself cursing Christmas and apologizing to God for doing it. I was feeling like Scrooge and the Grinch. But CFS is the real Scrooge, because it robs the enjoyment even if you simplify as much as you can. We have to hope for that better Christmas Yet to Come.

Jody

Thanks girls. :)

And Finch, yeah, it's cfs that's the Scrooge alright.

This was one of those rare articles that wrote themselves in 10 minutes one day. I had a concept pop into my head ... Scrooge as an analogy to cfs. And as I thought through it ... wrote itself.

Only ... at least Ebenezer eased up.

D

Denn

Merry Christmas, Jody and all! A very poignant article on EmpowHer. Question: is it ok for a guy to read an article on this website ;) Another question, I know from your website that you stick to a low carb, high protein diet. Have you any experience with how folks who are inclined to be vegetarian manage this feat?? Thanks!

liverock

Another nice one Jody. Happy Christmas and thanks for all you do here.;)

picture.php

Boy: "I know dad is tired and irritable, but can you make him stop kicking the dog all the time"

Dog: "Amen"

Jody

Thanks liverock :)

I hope your Christmas was a happy one as well.

Great picture and caption by the way. :D

Jody

Merry Christmas, Jody and all! A very poignant article on EmpowHer. Question: is it ok for a guy to read an article on this website ;) Another question, I know from your website that you stick to a low carb, high protein diet. Have you any experience with how folks who are inclined to be vegetarian manage this feat?? Thanks!

Thanks Denn :)

I hope your Christmas was a great one.

As to empowher.com, I am fairly sure you would be allowed to read their website without retribution of any sort. If nothing has befallen you since you were on the site you are probably safe. I think. :D

I personally don't have any experience as to how to do the low carb thing as a vegetarian. But it's my understanding that people do manage it.

I do know some people who have been staunch vegetarians for years who because of their many GI issues finally decided to give a very different diet a try and began eating meat again. For some, it's a bit rocky at first as their body gets used to it, but I do know a few people who are surprised to find that they are now feeling healthier than they have in a long time.

I also know there are others of us who get ill if they eat meat so low carb is NOT the right diet for them.

You might try starting a thread on the subject and see what kind of input you get. :)

annunziata

Jodie, that was great, and all so very true. I confess I was feeling sorry for myself, spending the holiday alone (that has usually been the case), and being too poor this year to buy some small consolation (a book, a 1ml decant of perfume). The economic disaster that ensues from an illness like this is really awful -- and when you can't afford to turn up the heat, it does feel pretty Dickensian.

It helps to feel understood. Thank you, and Merry Christmas!

Jody

Glad it helped a bit, Annunziata :)

I was lucky to have family here with me. But I had no money to buy any gifts with. We had 4 kids most with partners as well here with us. And we have started drawing names for gift giving rather than buying for everyone. Thank goodness.

This year was the leanest financially at Christmas that we've had. And we've had some very lean years in the past. I drew my daughter-in-law's name. Fortunately I knew she'd like me to knit a scarf for her, so I made a scarf and matching hat, and made a necklace for her in the style she likes.

My father got a book in good shape from my book shelves. My mother got a scarf and my step-dad got a giant turnip ( a gag gift he enjoyed because he used to tease my kids all the time they were growing up about how he was going to cook turnips for them).

Once again, my husband Alan and I couldn't afford to buy gifts for each other. And the daughter that drew his name agreed to buy him an electric heater for the house as his gift as we'd just had one die on us. So he got nothing, really, for a gift.

He drew my name and gave me some henna for my hair. Which we'd bought before we realized we'd have no money for gifts. So we wrapped up the henna ... for the kids' sake as much as anything so they wouldn't feel bad that mom didn't get anything for Christmas.

That's not quite accurate. I got socks and a journal from my mother. And daughter-in-law bought me yarn for knitting. And Al got socks from my mother and chocolate from our daughter-in-law.

Our Christmas dinners (2 of them because not everyone could be here at the same time) came from food we received froom the local foodbank visit we make every 3 wks. And a Christmas basket from a local community group. And our daughter-in-law contributed mightily to both meals. Thank goodness for her and our son, they make things easier than they would be otherwise.

I understand about the financial straits. I dread Christmas every year, wondering if we will make it through without feeling totally humiliated.

You have my sympathy.

Jody

I want to add here, that I did receive gifts from three online friends.

It made a big difference for me. This has never happened before and it was an amazing treat. I was quite moved by this. And since I met all three of them on these forums, I want to post here how much I appreciated their thoughtfulness.

annunziata

Jody, it must be so tough not to be able to buy gifts for your family. And thank you for saying what I couldn't bring myself to -- about dreading Christmas because of money. Yes, it is humiliating indeed.

I am glad friends sent you gifts. You seem like a very endearing person ;), so I am not surprised!

My Christmas wish is that ME/CFS is increasingly accepted as the real and serious disease it is. And that life gets easier, and better for all of us!

Jody

Thanks, Annunziata. Especially right now, that helps to hear. :)

And I couldn't agree more. Let's hope that next year will be a far cry from the past for all of us.