• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Neurologist treating stroke/brain injury victims with RA drug injection

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
His website looks like an advertisement. He was featured on 60 Minutes Australia but still in light of things like the new article posted here tonight, I wonder if something like this wouldn't possibly work for ME/CFS patients.

https://www.tobinick.com/
(Institute of Neurological Recovery)

The site says, “A single injection, then a five-minute wait. That’s all it took for hundreds of stroke and traumatic brain injury patients from South Florida and nationwide to reverse years of debilitation – long after giving up hope that their bodies would ever respond.”

I was only able to watch part of the segment but I think they said what he is doing is injecting their spines with a drug meant to reduce TNF in the brain. IIRC, they said it's a drug that is normally prescribed for RA patients.

Last edited:

pattismith

Perispinal Etanarcept (anti TNF drug), seems very efficient here!

From MEPEDIA, result of sc Etanarcept was beneficial for some patients, I wonder if perispinal injection may be better?
Several clinical trials have been proposed for the use of a tumor necrosis factor-alpha inhibition drug, etanercept, in ME/CFS. Results have been mixed. A 2012 clinical trial at Haukeland University Hospital, Norway was terminated shortly after enrolling patients because two of the four patients experienced moderate worsening of symptoms after using etanercept as weekly subcutaneous injections.[5] A pilot study in 2001 by K. Lamprecht using etanercept on six CFS patients reported considerable benefit, but the study was not expande

This paper comes from the website you linked:

1661083358314.png

Pyrrhus

pattismith

Dr Tobinick explains this kind of treatment,

I wish I could find a Dr Tobinick in my area!

Excess TNF is centrally involved in the pathogenesis of a variety of inflammatory neurological disorders, including Alzheimer’s disease, sciatica, traumatic brain injury and spinal cord injury. Perispinal etanercept produces rapid improvement in both Alzheimer’s disease and sciatica and in other forms of disc-related pain.

Basic research and the observed clinical effects suggest that etanercept has the surprising ability to penetrate into the cerebrospinal fluid after perispinal administration.

Perispinal administration is a novel method of delivery designed to introduce this anti-TNF molecule into the bidirectional cerebrospinal venous system and the cerebrospinal fluid to facilitate its selective delivery to either spinal structures or the brain. The scientific rationale, physiologic mechanisms, clinical effects and potential clinical indications of this therapeutic approach are the subject of this article

In Alzheimer Disease:

Attention

Improvement in attention is regularly observed following perispinal etanercept in patients with dementia [5,62,85]. Patients seem more alert to their surroundings, they are able to concentrate on the task at hand more efficiently (some are able to begin reading books again, for example), and they respond to questions more quickly and more appropriately.

Family members often relate that when returning from their office visit and riding in the car the patients pay attention to the outside environment and comment appropriately, sometimes for the first time in months or years. Cognition & executive function The 2006 open-label clinical trial of perispinal etanercept for AD documented progressive improvement during the 6 months in several standard measures of cognition, with the majority of

Perispinaletanerceptanewtherapeuticparadigminneurology1.pdf