• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Neck weakness/shakiness/contracting?

Wasn’t sure where to post this, so I figured I’d put it in “General Symptoms”.

I was recently diagnosed with CFS, though, it was done very half-assed with a “Yep...sounds like all your symptoms fit. You have CFS.” Mind you...I have had routine labs, a thyroid panel, and a brain MRI showing normal results. Nothing more. So, not sure how much I buy into the diagnosis. Don’t get me wrong, I’m very much leaning toward it and I agree that my symptoms fit. I’m just not willing to solely base that on, “it looks like a duck and walks like a duck...so it must be a duck” criteria.

Anyway...here’s a short synopsis of my journey and then my question:
This all started one year ago next week. Started with a minor ear infection and then progressed over a couple months to lightheadedness, dizziness, neck/shoulder pain, blurred vision, near faint feeling/blackouts, sleep issues, when coughing or singing (really anything involving triggering the vagus nerve), tachycardia, general malaise, brain fog, flu like symptoms, etc. Then...it all disappeared for about 3 months. I felt good. Didn’t seem to notice any symptoms, possibly reduced to minimal.

That was short lived. After three months, came the return of all those symptoms plus muscle weakness (especially in my legs), muscle fatigue, night sweats, feeling of flushing from my neck up into my face, low grade fevers, feeling lethargic. I specifically remember walking up this very small incline in the parking lot to get to my work office and feeling like it was the tallest hill I’d ever climbed. My legs felt so heavy and uncooperative. Just felt blah...

Fast forward to now. I’ve had another small relief from these symptoms (about 6 weeks)...not including now (just in the last week- cross my fingers this will last a while). Each time I have relapsed, I seem to get all my old symptoms, plus obtain new symptoms. So far, added to the list above: Muscle fasciculations, areas of facial numbness on right side, numbness and tingling in my L leg and R forearm, issues with TMJ and Pyriformis Syndrome, shortness of breath, major hair loss, etc.

Here comes the question: I had a flu shot in October. Twenty four hours after, I noticed my neck felt heavier/weaker than usual. It almost felt like my head was a bobble head. I could feel myself catching it when it would release and fall forward (picture someone who is falling asleep sitting up and they suddenly wake up after they catch their head slightly falling forward- like that). I especially noticed it in the seated position. I didn’t notice it as much when I was upright and walking around. The next couple days, I felt aches and pains all over...the flu shot gave me the flu...no doubt. I thought this neck thing was due to that...but it’s been over a month and although, I have good days where I feel like it’s not really noticeable and bad days where it is...it definitely hasn’t subsided. In fact, when I lay my head down to try and sleep, it feels like my neck muscles are in a rapid repetition of tensing up and relaxing involuntarily. It’s not painful, but it does make it difficult to sleep. Muscle relaxants help, but it’s an oddity nonetheless. I’ve had neck and shoulder pain with headaches in the back of the head for the last year, but this is new. Anyone have this?!!!

Thanks in advance...especially if you made it through this whole post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Moof

@sb4's suggestion is a really good one, but this can also be an ME symptom. I get it; I don't think it's CCI, as the severe neck weakness only happens during bad flare-ups and I'm fine the rest of the time. CCI is a potentially dangerous condition, so it's well worth getting it it ruled out, but it could also be a temporary (hopefully!) ME symptom that will subside as you improve.

It might be connected to an immune flare-up in response to that 'flu jab. You can't get 'flu from it (it doesn't contain live virus), but it works by provoking your immune system to produce antibodies. Some people with ME experience a much more active immune response than usual, and can feel ill for quite some time.

It's usually not as bad as getting the 'flu, though, so some of us choose to be vaccinated anyway! I've only had 'flu once, and went from having mild-to-moderate ME that allowed me to work, to being completely bedbound for five months. It took me well over a year to get back to where I'd been beforehand, so even though getting 'flu is fairly unusual (a lot of viruses that get described as 'flu are really nasty colds), I've never missed the vaccine since! :eek:

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    83 bytes · Views: 4
I have had ME/fibro for almost 5 years now. Sometime this summer my neck started to feel like it couldn't hold my head. If I sat upright for more than an hour, it hurt a lot. Then, about 3 months ago i caught a cold. The runny nose never went away, and my neck symptoms got worse. What's more, it felt like the worst TMJ flare-up of all time (though no TMJ remedies worked), and I had about a 3-week long migraine. A couple of weeks later after a reprieve and not thinking much of it, I got a flu shot. Now I'm lying on my side in bed as I've done for the past month feeling worse than before. I think we are all interested in CCI/AAI right now, and I agree that it's probably worth looking into. I am miserable and am at the end of my rope, but if this is an immune response, then that's actually comforting and makes a lot of sense when I put the pieces together in my own story. I'm still going to see a neurologist and get an MRI, though.

Heartl

I have had ME/fibro for almost 5 years now. Sometime this summer my neck started to feel like it couldn't hold my head. If I sat upright for more than an hour, it hurt a lot. Then, about 3 months ago i caught a cold. The runny nose never went away, and my neck symptoms got worse. What's more, it felt like the worst TMJ flare-up of all time (though no TMJ remedies worked), and I had about a 3-week long migraine. A couple of weeks later after a reprieve and not thinking much of it, I got a flu shot. Now I'm lying on my side in bed as I've done for the past month feeling worse than before. I think we are all interested in CCI/AAI right now, and I agree that it's probably worth looking into. I am miserable and am at the end of my rope, but if this is an immune response, then that's actually comforting and makes a lot of sense when I put the pieces together in my own story. I'm still going to see a neurologist and get an MRI, though.

Viral Meningitis?

jesse's mom

I my first real symptom of ME/CFS... full blown was neck stiffness and pain. There were other mitigating health issues and repetitive motion injury, along with two bad car accidents. Arthritis in my neck I think was made worse by my undiagnosed ME/CFS. My debilitating ME/CFS came after some years of Fibromyalgia, then finally a spinal meningitis infection. There is nothing about ME/CFS that is simple, and it affects many parts of the body, especially over time.

I think I was in a high functioning level for many years, after mono as a child.

The medical community is just now learning how to deal with this complex illness.

jesse's mom

My MRIs are not showing cci, just really bad degenerative disk, spinal stenosis, and artritis with a lots and lots of bone spurs. I am sure this CCI is a real problem, but other factors should be ruled out.

I have had TMJ for 30 years also.

Thank you for your replies guys! Puts my mind at ease a bit. I’ve had a brain MRI without any questionable results, but I’ve heard others say it’s very difficult to diagnose with a standard MRI. It has to be done with the addition of flexion and extension images (from what I read of Jeff’s posts). So, that would be interesting to find out. Should my symptoms get worse, I will be diving deeper into CCI. Another interesting point though is the fact that I have been in several car accidents and also have arthritis and bone spurs in my neck...so...I’m curious to know if the weakness I’m feeling from the CFS/ME isn’t just making an already injured area worse in its functioning. ‍♀️ Especially since this all started to get worse after a flu shot. Hmm...

jesse's mom

It seems like clusters of different issues become so difficult to untangle! I am just now sitting down with about a quarter mile of messed up string on my fishing rod. MRIs .... Imagine 100 years ago!
As frustrating as this gets we are still learning to navigate in all this! I am having new MRIs done soon. I have a baseline from about 10 years ago.

I cross one little bridge at a time, sometimes holding on to the rails.