• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nausea, vomiting after climbing staircase or exertion

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Do you get headaches and dizziness too with the stair climbing or exertion?

I wonder if you are experiencing CCI or neck instability like some of the ME patients on the site. You could perhaps ask Jeff or JenB if they also experienced nausea and vomiting with their condition.

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...instability-cci-as-a-cause-of-your-cfs.56908/

Jen also talks about a FB group that you could join to see if that's common. https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...p-for-chiari-cci-aai-tethered-cord-etc.78013/

Hope you can get some answers.

I have some OI and do tend to get nauseated when I experience migraines but not just with exertion unless my PEM is so bad that it generates a migraine.

Learner1

Hi,

Is Nausea, vomiting after climbing staircase or exertion is also common in pwME and is it due to POTs. Can someone help me with ways to avoid it?
I've had success taking Huperzine A to increase acetylcholine to reduce POTS symptoms. I do have sporadic bouts of nausea, which can lead to vomiting, and can be provoked by exercise. Injectable diphenhydramine stops it fast, and sometimes, but less often, ondansetron (Zofran).

Do you get headaches and dizziness too with the stair climbing or exertion?

I wonder if you are experiencing CCI or neck instability like some of the ME patients on the site. You could perhaps ask Jeff or JenB if they also experienced nausea and vomiting with their condition.

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...instability-cci-as-a-cause-of-your-cfs.56908/

Jen also talks about a FB group that you could join to see if that's common. https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...p-for-chiari-cci-aai-tethered-cord-etc.78013/

Hope you can get some answers.

I have some OI and do tend to get nauseated when I experience migraines but not just with exertion unless my PEM is so bad that it generates a migraine.

Thanks will look into it. The headache is more like discomfort involving back neck, jaw and back of head. It doesn't happen only with exertion. It happens when weather changes to hot and humid condition as well. I'm desperately looking for answers and help to manage this but no success so far. Its horrific symptom to deal with.
@Hip @Mary

Hip

Possibly some anti-emetic drugs or supplements might be worth looking into. An antiemetic helps prevent nausea or vomiting.

On the supplement side, ginger root is the classic antiemetic. Ginger blocks the 5-HT3 receptor, and any 5-HT3 blockers act as antiemetics.

Lemon essential oil (Citrus limonum) is a potent 5-HT3 blocker, and I suspect 5 to 10 drops of lemon essential oil taken internally (dissolved in a tablespoon of cooking oil or similar before swallowing) may have stronger effects in preventing nausea and vomiting than ginger, but both might be worth a try. You can by 10 ml bottles of essential oils for just a few dollars.

There are also 5-HT3 blocker drugs like ondansetron sold as antiemetics.

At one point, 5-HT3 blockers like ondansetron were investigated as an ME/CFS treatment, to reduce fatigue, but unfortunately the results of clinical trials indicated that they did not reduce fatigue much.

Might be worth mentioning this nausea and vomiting symptom to your doctor, in case it is a sign of something else.

Mary

Moderator Resource
I'm desperately looking for answers and help to manage this but no success so far. Its horrific symptom to deal with.
@Hip @Mary
@Nadirtopinnacle - I'm really sorry but I don't have anything to suggest here. I've never had this happen. POTS has not been one of my major symptoms. Hopefully some of the above suggestions can be helpful for you.

Possibly some anti-emetic drugs or supplements might be worth looking into. An antiemetic helps prevent nausea or vomiting.

On the supplement side, ginger root is the classic antiemetic. Ginger blocks the 5-HT3 receptor, and any 5-HT3 blockers act as antiemetics.

Lemon essential oil (Citrus limonum) is a potent 5-HT3 blocker, and I suspect 5 to 10 drops of lemon essential oil taken internally (dissolved in a tablespoon of cooking oil or similar before swallowing) may have stronger effects in preventing nausea and vomiting than ginger, but both might be worth a try. You can by 10 ml bottles of essential oils for just a few dollars.

There are also 5-HT3 blocker drugs like ondansetron sold as antiemetics.

At one point, 5-HT3 blockers like ondansetron were investigated as an ME/CFS treatment, to reduce fatigue, but unfortunately the results of clinical trials indicated that they did not reduce fatigue much.

Might be worth mentioning this nausea and vomiting symptom to your doctor, in case it is a sign of something else.

Thanks. I'm already on Ondansetron will try lemon essential oil. I guess need to again follow-up with Gastroenterologist.

Woof!

To rule out a sensitivity to environmental factors (like fragrances) as a complicating factor, try keeping a journal on what's around you every time you get nauseous. I am sensitive to lots of environmental things, and fragrances often make me severely nauseous and dizzy, to the point where I can't enter buildings where scented cleaning supplies or hand sanitizer have been recently used.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
To rule out a sensitivity to environmental factors (like fragrances) as a complicating factor, try keeping a journal on what's around you every time you get nauseous. I am sensitive to lots of environmental things, and fragrances often make me severely nauseous and dizzy, to the point where I can't enter buildings where scented cleaning supplies or hand sanitizer have been recently used.

To this I would also say to see if you have any local allergists who post the daily mold/pollen counts for your area online.

One in my area does and the headaches are usually worse when counts are high especially the mold counts.

SWAlexander

Thanks will look into it. The headache is more like discomfort involving back neck, jaw and back of head. It doesn't happen only with exertion. It happens when weather changes to hot and humid condition as well. I'm desperately looking for answers and help to manage this but no success so far. Its horrific symptom to deal with.
@Hip @Mary

"Do you get headaches and dizziness too with the stair climbing or exertion? "
Yes, can relate. Walking up a hill, steps, or lifting more than 2 pounds causes different symtoms. I finally found out why.
Besides having MRI confirmed back and neck issues, such as Tarlov cysts, stynoses, spondylitis and a Chiari malformation I have Speraphytosis.
Speraphytosis, blood platelets are deformed and cannot transport oxidants to the brain and muscles.
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/it-is-a-chain-link-reaction.85479/#post-2365551

Does it feel like you get an increase in pressure inside your head? Could be worth looking into intracranial hypertension, and note this can be caused by lots of things, some known and some unknown to science.

Known ones include things that block the blood or CSF flow going out of the head (e.g. blocked jugular veins, chiari)

SWAlexander

Does it feel like you get an increase in pressure inside your head? Could be worth looking into intracranial hypertension, and note this can be caused by lots of things, some known and some unknown to science.

Known ones include things that block the blood or CSF flow going out of the head (e.g. blocked jugular veins, chiari)

Exactly: "Does it feel like you get an increase in pressure inside your head?"
Sometimes, fluid is using out through the ear and nose as one way to release pressure. If it comes out of the nose it tastes like metal or meatloaf.

Some of the reasons can be Syringomyelia between T9-10 (this would need a Cerebral shunt), What I have is Tarlov Cysts and Chiari Malformation II.

SWAlexander

@SWAlexander ah yes sounds about right. I was actually meaning to ask that to @Nadirtopinnacle but glad it resonated for you too.

Are you getting any treatment for your issues?

I had a Chiari decompression surgery, but I refused a Cerebral shunt. For the Tarlov Cysts, I´m still looking for a competent clinic. Unfortunately, there is only one in Germany and only for private patients. Back in the US, the UNMH would not be able to remove them, at the time I had surgery on L4-L5.

Hip

For mast cell- induced nausea and vomiting the only thing that helps me is injectable diphenhydramine.

You are saying that mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS) could be a possible explanation for @Nadirtopinnacle's symptoms of nausea and vomiting after climbing a staircase or exertion? That's a very interesting suggestion.

MCAS can certainly cause nausea and vomiting symptoms, and exercise can be a trigger of MCAS symptoms.

SWAlexander

You are saying that mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS) could be a possible explanation for @Nadirtopinnacle's symptoms of nausea and vomiting after climbing a staircase or exertion? That's a very interesting suggestion.

MCAS can certainly cause nausea and vomiting symptoms, and exercise can be a trigger of MCAS symptoms.

I agree. I was in the US on Benadryl and now in Germany Cetirizin. But only before bedtime because they make me very sleepy.