• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

narcissistic personality disorder AKA weasel ly- ism

G

Gerwyn

Does the following remind you of anyone ? these are the symptoms Narcisistic personality disorder

pervasive pattern of grandiosity (in fantasy or behavior), need for admiration, and lack of empathy, beginning by early adulthood and present in a variety of contexts, as indicated by five (or more) of the following:

1. has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
2. is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
3. believes that he or she is "special" and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)
4. requires excessive admiration
5. has a sense of entitlement, i.e., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations
6. is interpersonally exploitative, i.e., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
7. lacks empathy: is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others
8. is often envious of others or believes others are envious of him or her
9. shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

The other major symptom is extreme anxiety at the prospect of being wrong to the point of denial of the possibility! There are points in relational history which cause/contribute to cause this maladaptation and the desperate desire for perfection in people places and things not least in self

MEKoan

S.W.:
If one reads the angry responses to any article that mentions chronic fatigue syndrome and psychiatry in the same breath, it is clear that the drive to find a somatic biomarker for chronic fatigue syndrome is driven not so much by a dispassionate thirst for knowledge but more by an overwhelming desire to get rid of the psychiatrists.

Gerwyn, Do you think we should consider a dual diagnosis? I think the above smacks of Persecution Complex. I know that's an old fashioned diagnosis, out of favour these days, but it seems so apt.

CJB

You both obviously have well-honed diagnostic skills. My question is where does intellectual and professional sloth fit in? I'm sorry, but I find this guy LAZY. And not easily embarrassed by the facts.