• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Naphazoline

Alesh

Naphazoline is an alpha 2 adrenergic agonist which is used as a common decongestant. I have had some positive experience with it. It seems to reduce the feeling of the "swelling of the brain". I have three possible explanations for this: 1. It is a potent vasoconstrictor drug, which can reduce a swelling of brain blood vessels (by the way about 50% of known brain diseases are related to dysfunctional brain vascular systems) 2. It can, even if only weakly, cross the blood brain barriers and interfere with adrenergic receptors in the brain or if applied intranasally it can directly migrate into the brain through the cribriform plate. 3. Some other physiological effects of naphazoline are involved.

Be careful with experimenting with this (mainly) OTC drug. Signs of naphazoline poisoning are pallor, hypertension, bradycardia and in severe cases pulmonary edema.

alice1

Don't know if we have Naphcon in Canada but I can check other allergy meds.
Thanks.
Also when you say swelling of the brain is that the same as brain fog?
BF should be my initials.

hapl808

Thought this was interesting. I tried the naphazoline eye drops a few times and maybe slightly helpful, but it wasn't rx strength. And now with constant news articles about bad eye drops, less thrilling.

Didn't know naphazoline was available in a nasal spray - then found this on PR.