• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NAC (N-acetyl cysteine) dramatically improves my symptoms of thirst, dehydration and frequent urination

Replenished

One of my main symptoms is dehydration, extreme thirst, frequent urination and just not being able to hydrate or retain fluids. It's unbearable at times.

I read about the benefits of NAC in general, and had some in the cupboard I bought some time ago but never used. I decided to take about 1 grams worth on Wednesday last week, not with the dehydration symptoms in mind, but just in general for it's health benefits. I then proceeded not to urinate for about 5 hours. Which is extreme for me as typically I'm going every hour. I took some more later than evening and I woke only once to urinate during the night which is less than usual for me, and my urine in the morning was yellow! (My urine is typically almost always clear/doesn't concentrate).

I took it again on Thursday and seemed to have positive effects. Friday I had to stay with family for an appointment in the city, so didn't have the NAC with me. Saturday, today, I took about a gram again after breakfast, and again I've barely urinated and my urinate is far more concentrated when I do go. I also feel less dehydrated.

I know it's early days but these seem to be some very positive and quite dramatic effects on my dehydration symptom that hasn't shifted for years. I don't know the science behind what could he going on but I know NAC has some relation to Glutathione which has often been found to be low in those with ME CFS.

Just thought I'd share this in case it might help somebody else and to see if anyone has any thoughts on NAC / Glutathione.

YippeeKi YOW !!

I agree with @Judee 's post in another thread ..... this is why we should never give up !!!

Somewhere down the road, just waiting for us to find it either abandoned in a cupboard or thru a post or thread from another member, or via a random article that we might normally never have read .... somewhere, there's an answer that will improve our QOL, even tho it may not cure us completely ....

Thank you @Judee for posting this link in that other thread !!! We all need to be reminded from time to time that not all symptoms are fatal, and not all unexpected down-turns are permanent !!!

overtheedge

I get excessively thirsty and experience frequent urination if i dont eat enough meat.

no matter how much other food i eat these symptoms wont stop unless sufficient quantities of meat are eaten.

back when my health was better than it is now it used to only happen when i would really overdo it. Now each day i have to eat a decent quantity of meat or the symptoms will show up

Frequent urination is listed as one of the comorbid conditions of CFS by the clinicians coalition so i think it's a common thing. From what ive heard glucose and fat arent well processed by PWME's but amino acids are and protein is the source of amino acids, tho why other sources of protein besides meat dont stop these symptoms in me I dont know but it's something to try if you dont routinely eat lots of meat

Last edited:

vision blue

@Replenished Just curios if youre a tylenol user (that depleted cysteine)
Ive tried nac but cant tolerate

@overtheedge My urine was abnormally dilute all of the time (regardless of volume) until i added more meat. Alas i have annAA problem (tyramines) as well as a clear fat metqbolism
Issue so cant eat as much as or the thpes that i lwould like to

Replenished

I get excessively thirsty and experience frequent urination if i dont eat enough meat.

no matter how much other food i eat these symptoms wont stop unless sufficient quantities of meat are eaten.

back when my health was better than it is now it used to only happen when i would really overdo it. Now each day i have to eat a decent quantity of meat or the symptoms will show up

Frequent urination is listed as one of the comorbid conditions of CFS by the clinicians coalition so i think it's a common thing. From what ive heard glucose and fat arent well processed by PWME's but amino acids are and protein is the source of amino acids, tho why other sources of protein besides meat dont stop these symptoms in me I dont know but it's something to try if you dont routinely eat lots of meat

I eat a lot of meat. Doesn't seem to make any difference. Although eating in general seems to temporarily reduce symptoms reduce the thirst for a short while, 30mins or so.

Replenished

@Replenished Just curios if youre a tylenol user (that depleted cysteine)
Ive tried nac but cant tolerate

@overtheedge My urine was abnormally dilute all of the time (regardless of volume) until i added more meat. Alas i have annAA problem (tyramines) as well as a clear fat metqbolism
Issue so cant eat as much as or the thpes that i lwould like to

Never used Tylenol.

godlovesatrier

What dose? For the immune system benefits studies showed you needed 2g a day in 3 split doses. I take 3g a day as it's a bit easier.

On Josh's protocol my excessive thirst has gone but I still dry out easily if exacerbated or sick with something. Anyway NAC does work otherwise doctors would be using it like a pro drug.

Replenished

What dose? For the immune system benefits studies showed you needed 2g a day in 3 split doses. I take 3g a day as it's a bit easier.

On Josh's protocol my excessive thirst has gone but I still dry out easily if exacerbated or sick with something. Anyway NAC does work otherwise doctors would be using it like a pro drug.

I was taking about 2 grams a day. One morning and one evening.

What's 'Josh's' protocol?

godlovesatrier

Hey,

If you see my signature you'll see a link to his protocol on this forum which explains everything.

2g is a good dose. It does need to be dosed every 4 hours though to keep a consistent concentration present.

Remi

I took a week of 500 mg NAC 2 x daily with selenium and vitamin C. When I learnt it depletes zinc and B12, I quit. But since taking it, my dehydration is also worse. I had actually had good blood volume for a year on testosterone due to its side effect fluid retention. I'm still bloated, but the blood volume must have gone down. I have coat hanger pain, drawing blood from fingers does not go as easily, I'm less able to stand, and I need more ORS than before I went on testosterone.

It's peculiar that we have opposite reactions to it. I'm sorry that the benefits stopped for you, but I really hope to get rid of its negative effects. I'ts been almost a month now.

Last edited:

Remi

I have trouble sleeping, too, still. I thought it was because I changed brands of quetiapine, but maybe it is caused by my NAC stint as well. 🤔

Remi

The insomnia resolved, it was due to changing quetiapine brands. The low blood volume persists.