• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NAC lowers down excessive sympathetic activity

I noticed when I take 600mg NAC, my resting heart rate becomes closer to normal 60 bpm. And it also helps with POTS. After I got sick my HR is 90-100 bpm on standing, but with NAC, sometimes I even get 60 bpm on standing. When I'm stressed out, or changing position/walking too fast, I get mild tachycardia, which fades away after 15-30 seconds.
NAC also helps with other symptoms, for example it helps with wired feeling in limbs. But I believe such symptoms are coming from excessive sympathetic activity, so if NAC somehow helps my ANS shift to parasympathetic state (to some degree), it helps with every other downstream symptom.
Does anyone have similar experience with NAC? What other supplements can lower down sympathetic activity even more? I read some articles about benfotiamine and alpha-lipoic acid, but it seems they are not so helpful as NAC, in my case.

Irat

I noticed when I take 600mg NAC, my resting heart rate becomes closer to normal 60 bpm. And it also helps with POTS. After I got sick my HR is 90-100 bpm on standing, but with NAC, sometimes I even get 60 bpm on standing. When I'm stressed out, or changing position/walking too fast, I get mild tachycardia, which fades away after 15-30 seconds.
NAC also helps with other symptoms, for example it helps with wired feeling in limbs. But I believe such symptoms are coming from excessive sympathetic activity, so if NAC somehow helps my ANS shift to parasympathetic state (to some degree), it helps with every other downstream symptom.
Does anyone have similar experience with NAC? What other supplements can lower down sympathetic activity even more? I read some articles about benfotiamine and alpha-lipoic acid, but it seems they are not so helpful as NAC, in my case.
Google lysine and glycine for reducing the stress response., but every supplement has it's downside .....you can do graditude journaling for releasing stress,it does wonders ,

Last edited: