• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

NAC experience

dsdmom

I've tried doing some searches on this but it's hard since this system won't do a search on just 3 letters...

Anyway my dr wants me to try NAC 600mg and says she has had patients do well with it. I currently inject reduced glutathione a couple times a week with no problems. I just took 300mg of NAC and felt weird - almost jittery. It seems to have passed now though but it is affecting my reflux, which is constantly a problem for me taking supplements.

I am nervous about a few things with this - I had an issue MSM and not sure if I will have the same issue with NAC, where I felt like I had the worst flu of my life. I know I could try taking molybdenum to see if that helps. But I guess I just want to hear more of people's experiences with NAC and the doses you took.

Thanks!

judderwocky

i experienced die off when i first started taking it... it might be that....

also... it does act as a chelator for mercury, but since it crosses the blood brain barrier, some people sugest you take a non brain passing chelator for a while before taking NAC... supposedly it still passes the barrier even after binding to mercury in other places in your body... so it can supposedly... though i have doubts about study that was used to supposedly support this hypothesis ... move mercury back into your brain...

the simple solution is to take another chelator to clear out the mercury in places other than your brain, and then take the NAC which will move it out after that....

just a thought....

it also reduces glutamate in the brain... and sometimes it can feel a bit weird at first....

a lot of that passed after the first few weeks with me.... my brain got used to it, and now i look forward to taking my NAC first thing in the morning... ive found that with continual use it really helps push back my fog and nausea.

maryb

iherb code TAK122
I took a 600mg capsule and felt awful, never took another one, you need to read up on what it does, sorry I forgot, but anyway think the secret is to start very low with any new supplements.

leaves

I take it, at first it did a lot of good, but as always effect tapered off... I wouldnt go above 600 mg if you do not know your system too well (levels of cysteine etc)

judderwocky

I take it, at first it did a lot of good, but as always effect tapered off... I wouldnt go above 600 mg if you do not know your system too well (levels of cysteine etc)

it really seems to depend on what your using it for... if you just want it for antioxidant support you probably woulnd't need to go beyond the 600-1200 mg... for some reason i seem to remember there being a drop off with the effects at higher dosages ...... i take 1200 mg a day... but i had to work up that very slowly ... over about 6 weeks.... when its used as a supplementary treatment for mental disorders arising from glutamate issues (ie.. ocd) its used in up to 3,200 mg a day.... so it seems like you are probably just wanting it for overall antioxidant support... you probably could scrape by on even less than 600.... just build up to it really slowly .... you can always split the pill and just take half...

oh and take it with orange juice /vitamin c.... this supposedly helps protect the NAC from breaking down in your digestive track... don't know if its true, but i always try to take with something of that nature...