• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Myo inositol triphosphate

BadBadBear

Has anyone tried myo inositol triphosphate?

Here's what Wikipedia says about
Myo-inositol trispyrophosphate

ITPP is a membrane-permeant allosteric regulator of hemoglobin that mildly reduces its oxygen-binding affinity, which shifts the oxygen-hemoglobin dissociation curve to the right and thereby increases oxygen release from the blood into tissue.[1] Phytic acid, in contrast, is not membrane-permeant due to its charge distribution.[1]

Rodent studies in vivo demonstrated increased tissue oxygenation and dose-dependentincreases in endurance during physical exercise, in both healthy mice and transgenic mice expressing a heart failure phenotype.[1]

The substance is believed to have a high potential for use in athletic doping, and liquid chromatography–mass spectrometry tests have been developed to detect ITPP in urine tests.[2] Its use as a performance-enhancing substance in horse racing has also been suspected and similar tests have been developed for horses[3]

ITPP has been studied for potential adjuvant use in the treatment of cancer in conjunction with chemotherapy, due to its effects in reducing tissue hypoxia.[4] Human clinical trials were registered in 2014 under the compound number OXY111A.[5] The substance has also been examined in the context of other illnesses involving hypoxia, such as cardiovascular disease and dementia[2]
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myo-inositol_trispyrophosphate#cite_note-pmid25070041-2

Last edited:

Hope4

Desert of SW USA
No, I haven't, but this looks very interesting. I have only used the standard myo inositol powder from Jarrow and NOW.

@BadBadBear Thanks very much for posting about this. :)

YippeeKi YOW !!

@BadBadBear
I second @Hope4 ...... this is extremely interesting, and thank you (and your horse) so much for posting this.

PS .... I have a friend who has a couple of horses, finds MSM to be extremely effective for joint and tissue issues. I'm sure you already know this :rolleyes:, but in an effort to offer something other than thanks for your really interesting post, I felt the urge to share the obvious. Apologies.

Hip

@Hip has this supplement made it onto your radar?

It's new to me, though on first glance it does not look very hopeful for helping ME/CFS, as it achieves tissue oxygenation just by making oxygen more easily released by hemoglobin.

Carbon dioxide does the same thing: the more CO2 you have in your blood, the more oxygen is released from hemoglobin into the tissues (see the Bohr effect). I've tried breathing CO2 in order to create this oxygen release (see this post), and found although CO2 may slightly improve brain fog for a few hours, it does not really help ME/CFS much, even if performed daily.

Last edited:

BadBadBear

I am really interested in trying it for a few reasons. I have read several reviews of it that people feel a sense of 'well being' on it. Also the effects of it seem to last for about a week at a time versus a few hours (for the lifespan of the RBC).

The downside to me being the effects last a week... If its not good, then I am kind of stuck.

As I live at high altitude, I think it will be interesting to try it. Some of the reports are from people who train at high altitude and report having more energy and feeling better.

So, it will be interesting. Also since my body seems to do really well with inositol, its definitely of interest. And if it helps me, it very well may not help anyone else. I seem to be fairly unique in my response to inositol.

Hip

I am really interested in trying it for a few reasons. I have read several reviews of it that people feel a sense of 'well being' on it. Also the effects of it seem to last for about a week at a time versus a few hours (for the lifespan of the RBC).

Have you found a source? I could not seem to find anywhere selling inositol triphosphate.

I've been experimenting with ITPP - both sublingual and oral ingestion. I've used anywhere between 100mg and 500mg at a time during crashes. I can say definitively that at best it does nothing, but at worst it prolongs the crash.

The one metric I do see change from ITPP is decreased respiratory rate when sleeping - this is a common finding for anyone who takes ITPP as the body needs less oxygen.