• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

my son has teen cfs

Jody

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi

I'm still feeling my way as far as what treatments work. Lately my son is improving though so I'll give some guesses.

Adrenal support seems to help. First Siberian ginseng, then a borage mixture.

Vit. D seems to make him steadier, clearer and with more stamina.

We found out last fall he had a mouthful of cavities, needed a root canal. As soon as we started taking care of some of that (no insurance so slow progress here) he improved some. Each step, more improvement.

Any sleep is a good sleep. I don't care how loopy his hours are. I used to try to steer his wake/sleep, and it left him... tired. He sleeps when his body tells him to ... or lets him. He doesn't have the problem of sleeping all the time, but the reverse. Terrible insomnia but it has been improving this spring.

Diet-wise, too much junk has a bad effect. Try to keep him eating real foods, it makes a difference.

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder
That root canal is interesting; as the doctor was drilling away the infection in mine all of sudden I felt noticeably - the infection was getting to me.

Also never let a doctor put a gold crown over a mercury filling. (Of course stay away from mercury fillings altogether). When my dentist took that gold crown off that old filling - put in sometime around the time when I got ill - I felt noticeably better again.

Jody

When my son Jesse had his root canal done, there was so much infection to be drained that the freezing didn't take properly, according to the dentist.

I am careful about antibiotics but I filled his prescription to help get rid of the infection faster (and got him probiotics as soon as I could). Jess was wiped out for weeks after this but the first morning after, he said this was the first time in a very long time he didn't wake up with a vile taste in his mouth.

He had a relapse after the first couple of appointments due to his weakened state but the last time he went in he had 3 cavities done, and his downtime wasn't bad that time.

Each visit, within weeks his stamina is better. So, were the bad teeth the cause of the illness? Or vice versa? Don't know, just glad this is helping him heal.

It seems his immune system was overloaded due to the bacteria, he had no energy for ... living. The bacteria load is lessened, he has more energy.

Is that the right scenario?

Beats me. Seems like nothing is certain with this illness.

I searched the net about CFS and dental problems. Surprised to find, there is much data that shows a strong correlation. Again, which is the cause and which is the result?

Dunno.

Jody

Today I took Jesse to the dentist for another filling.

Three months ago he had 2 bottom teeth filled, and a third one was given a temporary filling after they put some homeopathic goop in it (eugenol) to hopefully heal up or increase (?) the dentin (?) -- sorry, she told me again today and I already can't recall the details.

The eugenol was a success and he got the last filling finished on his bottom teeth. He still has 5 (!) more cavities in his top teeth, and we are taking care of them as we can afford it, no insurance, natch.

After each tooth has been taken care of thus far, he has a bad couple of days of symptom flare, and then within a week or so, we see a dramatic and lasting improvement in overall health, including small improvements in sleep. I am hoping this happens again this time as well.