• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My Red/Near Infrared Light Therapy Experiment

Chris

A bit more on overdosing--I think I had overlooked Whitten's main dealing with this--pp.252-255. I fear that he is probably right--I may have been doing just that since my BIOMX 900 was finally delivered. Ah well, experience is the best teacher, though it can be tough...

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Chris - It sounds like you overdid it. Can you be more specific here - e..g, how often did you use the Biomax 900 (once or twice a day, or x number of times a week) and roughly for what length of time when you used it. Also, what symptoms did you have afterwards?

If you reply to me, please tag me - put the "@" sign in front of my name like this @Mary or like I did with you above, and that way I'll get an alert about your reply - thanks! :nerd:

Chris

@Mary; this answer is going to b a bit complicated--and reveal why I have been quiet for a while. I have known for quite a while that my Mitral valve is regurgitating more and more, and I began noticing disturbing signs of cardiac arrhythmias; finally got a Holter test which confirmed this. Simultaneously noticed this warning in the little booklet that accompanies the BIOMAX: "Do not apply infrared light to the thorax or over a pacemaker in individuals with pacemakers."

I do not understand what element of light would interact with a pacemaker, nor do I know for sure that it could not interact with the heart's own natural electrical pacemaker system. So until I have figured this out, I am being cautious, and have substantially lowered my doses of the BIOMAX. Will let you know if and when I find out more on this topic
Chris

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Chris - thank you for the explanation! I'm sorry to hear all that and hope you're able to continue, at least a little, with your Biomax. My former husband had mitral valve prolapse with regurgitation. After several years he ended up having surgery to replace the valve - I think he had 2 surgeries, one to repair and then later replace it. I think he has a pacemaker now as well. I'm a little unclear on all this because this was a few years after we split up.

Anyways, I did research while we were together and one of the chief things I found is that MVP is often associated with magnesium deficiency. You're probably aware of this but thought I'd mention it in case you're not. Magnesium deficiency in the pathogenesis of mitral valve prolapse - PubMed (nih.gov)

Clinical Symptoms of Mitral Valve Prolapse Are Related to Hypomagnesemia and Attenuated by Magnesium Supplementation - American Journal of Cardiology (ajconline.org)

You probably know this as well too, but one's serum magnesium levels can be fine but intracellular magnesium may be low,. There's a particular test called RBC magnesium which measures magnesium levels in blood cells.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Well, I bought a MitoManPro 1500! And it's all your fault @Viala ! :rolleyes: Seriously - if I hadn't seen this thread, I don't think I would have done it. I just put it on my bed - the unit is heavier than I expected! I used it for the first time today, about 3 minutes, I'm going very slowly. It's got a mix of red and near infrared lights. Actually it was calming. I really didn't expect that for such a short time period. So I'll keep y'all posted!

Chris

@Mary, thanks for this info. I do take 400 or 600mg Mag daily, and have for a long time, but take your point about intracellular levels--may try to get that test.... There is now a thing called a Mitroclip that is intruduced through an artery or vein, like a stent, I believe--not available here in Victoria, but OK in Vancouver.

Viala

Well, I bought a MitoManPro 1500! And it's all your fault @Viala ! :rolleyes: Seriously - if I hadn't seen this thread, I don't think I would have done it. I just put it on my bed - the unit is heavier than I expected! I used it for the first time today, about 3 minutes, I'm going very slowly. It's got a mix of red and near infrared lights. Actually it was calming. I really didn't expect that for such a short time period. So I'll keep y'all posted!

Oh my, I hope you'll have great benefits from it then :) I am still on my basic set of incandescent bulbs which I cannot use for longer than couple of minutes because they get too hot! But I like the warmth. I also noticed calming effect, it's nice.

Aspen

Congrats for making the plunge!! I hope you start to see some good effects very soon. :thumbsup:

Aspen

@Mary; this answer is going to b a bit complicated--and reveal why I have been quiet for a while. I have known for quite a while that my Mitral valve is regurgitating more and more, and I began noticing disturbing signs of cardiac arrhythmias; finally got a Holter test which confirmed this. Simultaneously noticed this warning in the little booklet that accompanies the BIOMAX: "Do not apply infrared light to the thorax or over a pacemaker in individuals with pacemakers."

I do not understand what element of light would interact with a pacemaker, nor do I know for sure that it could not interact with the heart's own natural electrical pacemaker system. So until I have figured this out, I am being cautious, and have substantially lowered my doses of the BIOMAX. Will let you know if and when I find out more on this topic
Chris
Sorry you have to deal with this! And that it’s interfering with your light use. I’m glad you figured it out, in any case, and can be cautious about it now.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Aspen - my apologies - in a sleep-deprived haze today, I credited @Viala with starting this thread, and not you ! :confused: So @Aspen , you're actually the reason I bought my device . . . thank you!

But @Viala , you've contributed to the thread too so thanks are in order there as well - (whew! )

Actually after using it for 3 minutes this morning, I had a very good nap this afternoon which was sorely needed - I don't know if there's a connection but who knows? One day at a time . . .

Aspen

@Aspen - my apologies - in a sleep-deprived haze today, I credited @Viala with starting this thread, and not you ! :confused: So @Aspen , you're actually the reason I bought my device . . . thank you!

But @Viala , you've contributed to the thread too so thanks are in order there as well - (whew! )

Actually after using it for 3 minutes this morning, I had a very good nap this afternoon which was sorely needed - I don't know if there's a connection but who knows? One day at a time . . .
We’re all in this together! :D So happy you got a good nap, and hopefully many more to come.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Oh my, I hope you'll have great benefits from it then :) I am still on my basic set of incandescent bulbs which I cannot use for longer than couple of minutes because they get too hot! But I like the warmth. I also noticed calming effect, it's nice.
@Viala - can you provide a link to the incandescent bulb set that you have,? Or if you put it together yourself, could you describe how you made it?

Any other info would be useful too - e.g., how often you use it and for how many minutes, how long you have been using it, and any other noticeable benefits or effects besides the warmth and calming effect. Thanks! :nerd:

Viala

@Viala - can you provide a link to the incandescent bulb set that you have,? Or if you put it together yourself, could you describe how you made it?

Any other info would be useful too - e.g., how often you use it and for how many minutes, how long you have been using it, and any other noticeable benefits or effects besides the warmth and calming effect. Thanks! :nerd:

@Mary I have a homemade set, I use my photographic softbox with front cover removed and I can use it only couple of minutes in a single session because it gets hot very quickly. It's about 8-10k lux and feels like a little sun :) I use it with my eyes opened to benefit also visually, that's the major difference here, red/infrared LEDs from what I understand should be only used with eyes closed. I don't look directly at the bulbs though.

In total I use it for 15 minutes daily, sometimes 30 minutes. I had a break because I tested white light therapy for the last two months, so I started to use incandescent bulbs only two weeks ago. I believe it may take another two months to see the results. I think light getting into the eyes may be important here, red light suppresses the production of reverse T3 which may be responsible for our fatigue, so I think it's worth to try. I just hope that 15-30 minutes daily is enough. At the moment I didn't notice any improvement in my energy levels, but my skin likes it a lot :redface:

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Viala - thanks so much for all the info!
red/infrared LEDs from what I understand should be only used with eyes closed
I believe you're right about this - I think most of the units are sold with goggles.
red light suppresses the production of reverse T3 which may be responsible for our fatigue,
Very interesting - I didn't know this - I'm just starting to learn about red light and its benefits and effects.
my skin likes it a lot :redface:
Very nice to hear! :nerd:

Chris

An update after a longish pause. With experience, I am now more sceptical of any connection between the use of my BIOMAX 900 and those heart issues. But I did manage to break a collar bone in a fall in early September, but am pretty sure that liberal (12-15m) of the light helped speed up the healing. So VIVA Red and NIR light!

I was fortunate to get my hands on a platinum a while back, the first time I used it I wasn't expecting it to be so powerful haha. I tried to do 10 minutes and it hit so hard, I was fine but just very overdone and uncomfortable. Learned to tone it down, started doing 1 minute each side and worked up from there. I do 4 minutes each side now after months of using it. Still makes my spine feel tingly. I read quite a bit about these devices before I got one, really fascinating. I've had to take a few breaks from using it as I was working up the dosages of my Buhner herbs for neuro Lyme and sometimes it was just too much while I was riding out the die off between increases. This last time I started doing it again I was able to start at 4 minutes per side again where I left off without much discomfort. I go every other day at most with it right now.

perchance dreamer

Are any of you familiar with the Weber Infrared LED Helmet? I'm trying to figure out how it differs from Vielight technology.

The obvious difference is in how the laser therapy is applied. Vielight devices apply light therapy to specific parts of the brain while the Weber helmet application is more diffuse, with 320 diodes. Also, the Weber helmet allows more flexibility with intensity level and frequency. That could be useful for someone like me with an exceedingly sensitive system.

It's very expensive at $3200, and all sales are final. At least devices like Alpha-Stim and Vielight allow an initial period where you can return a device and get most of your money back if it doesn't work for you. I do think it's interesting, though. I learned about it from an alternative health clinic on Long Island where I have received treatments before.

https://www.isla-laser.org/wp-content/uploads/LED-Infrared-Helmet_Product-Info_final.pdf

Jo86

Hey yall. Just got a unit. I started yesterday. I'm doing 10min, twice a day. Straight to the face, with the safety glasses they give you on and my eyes closed. I've got two options on my device: "Red light" and NIR (near infrared). I've been using the Red light, which flashes red lights at you, versus the NIR which is invisible to the human eye.

Does anyone know which is more adapted to brain fog/ activating mitochondria in the brain ? NIR or Redlight ? I've been reading both are efficient for that.

Mary

Moderator Resource
@Jo86 - I always use mine with both the red light and NIR selected so I get zapped with both types of light at once. I don't really deal with brain fog and I don't know the best way to "activate mitochondria in the brain". I shine it on my back for 15 minutes, hoping to help my adrenals and also one of my vertebrae is messed up. I don't know if it's helping yet but at least it feels good! I also zap my face with eyes closed for 5 minutes, and then an additional 3 minutes with the goggles on. It's actually supposed to be good for your eyes, though of course not shining directly into them. There is actually research showing that red light therapy can help reverse mactular degeneration but of course one would have to know what they were doing for that.

The light did help me a lot with a rather painful inner thigh problem - it had been there for several years and was getting worse and the light after some weeks made the pain just go away. I never did find out the cause. It was always at the bottom of my list of things to pay attention to or deal with.

My brother-in-law believes his hair is getting thicker since using the device. I think he aims it at the back of his head.

It's also very relaxing. I do wordle every morning while sitting in front of the red light - highlight of my day! :rolleyes: