• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My problems

Hi, first of all I would like list my main symptoms:

- fatigue
- tingling legs
- strong constipation (no bowel movements without laxatives)
- depression
- brainfog
- sleep disturbances (sleepwalking, talking)

Recently I started yet another attempt to find the root cause of all my problems and found a connection to my stomach ulcer I had 6 years ago. Well, 6 years ago I almost died because of blood loss due to a stomach ulcer. Doctors diagnosed me with a H. pylori infection and put me on a course of antibiotics. The course lasted 7 days and consisted of clarithromycin and amoxicillin. 6 weeks after my treatment I was retested for H. pylori with the result that I was still infected. So they started the same treatment again for 7 days. This time the course was "successful". However, some time after this treatment I noticed that I always felt tired. That time I was 15 and I was tired at school, had to sleep when I came back home, learning got very difficult due to the urge to sleep.... Nevertheless, if my memory serves me correctly, this tiredness wasn't too bad in comparison with my fatigue I am suffering from now. 2007 my doctor diagnosed me again with H. pylori.... got another course of antibiotics... failed again.... another course (that time I got clarithromycin and metronidazole [I hate this fucking antibiotic]). Yeah and what to say...my fatigue got worse and I got depressions. Seeked help at a psychiatrist and got antidepressants.... All in all, I was put on antibiotics about 5 times and always noticed a progression of my symptoms.

Well, I researched and found out that candida could be a reason why I feel so bad. Currently I am taking Xtralac (probiotic) and avoiding sugar. Before I tried nystatin which worsened my constipation a lot so that I decided to try Xtralac first... Could this constipation be related to a possible "die off" reaction?

Soon I am going to retest for H. pylori.

Does anybody know another possible cause of my problems or have a similar story? What do you think about candida?

Thanks for your help!

================================================================
Additional information:
- Accoding to my doctor thyroid levels (hypothyroidism could explain my symptoms very well....) are "normal" (FT3: 2.9 pg/ml, FT4: 1.3 ng/dl, TSH 4.64)

- My current 25(OH)D3 level is 38 ng/dl (on 03.03.2010 it was 6.42 ng/dl).

- I can't tolerate Vitamin D3 tablets. They worsen my symptoms a lot. 5000IU gelcaps give me stomach/gut problems (diarrhea, bloating, cramps...)

- Some more blood values (sorry, units missing on my paper):
Leukocytes: 5.6 (4.0 - 10.0) (2008 it was 4.1)
Erythrocytes: 4.57 (4.6 - 6.0)
Hemoglobin: 14.3 (14.0 - 18.0) (2008 it was 13.7)
Hematokrit: 40.9 (40.0 - 54.0)
MCV: 89.5 (83.0 - 95.0)
MCH: 31.3 (28.0 - 34.0)
MCHC: 35.0 (32.0 - 36.0) (2008 it was 36.4)
Neutrophils: 51.5 (50.0 - 70.0) (2008 it was 49.4)
Lymphocytes: 38.7 (25.0 - 45.0)
Monocytes: 4.8 (2.0 - 9.0)
Eosinophil
granulocyte: 2.1 (2.0 - 4.0)
CRP: < 1
Iron: 135 (60 - 158)
Ferritin: 61.0 (30 - 400)
ACTH: 17.1 (4.7 - 48.8) (from 2008)
B12: 558 (191 - 663) (from 2008)
Folic acid: 10.7
Cortisol
(3pm - 7pm) 18.0

richvank

Hi, x.

My guess is that the antibiotic treatments have disturbed the normal bacterial populations in your gut, so that you now have intestinal bacterial dysbiosis. Yeast infections commonly occur in this situation as well. I would suggest that you try to get a good stool test to see what you have in there now. One of the best is the Diagnos-Techs Expanded GI Panel. Another good one is the Metametrix GI Function test. Another is the Genova Diagnostics Comprehensive Digestive Stool Analysis with Parisitology. If you can't get your doctor to order one of these tests, you can order either of the last two without a doctor's order from www.directlabs.com. They will send you the kit, you can collect the stool sample and ship it to the lab, and they will send the results directly to you. When you know what things look like in your gut, you will be in a position to figure out how to treat it.

This problem happens over and over. Unfortunately a lot of doctors don't follow up antibiotics with probiotics, and a lot of cases of dysbiosis result. If you get another flare-up of H. pylori, you might be interested to know that Dr. Leo Galland in NYC has had good success with mastic gum, which is nonprescription and doesn't mess up the beneficial bacteria.

Best regards,

Rich

I'd certainly say there's the possibility of thyroid disease, and despite what your doctor believes I'd argue that your TSH is far from being normal. The American Association of Clinical Endocrinologists has for a number of years been promoting an optimal range of 0.3 to 3.0. Worth noting, however, you can still be well within range and suffering the effects of hypothyroidism should your pituitary not be functioning correctly.

You may find it useful to do a basal temperature test. If your waking temperature is 97.6F / 36.5C or less then this can serve as a good indication. Measure it over a couple of weeks and take an average.

Hope this is of some help and best of luck.

caledonia

What Rich said - keep taking those probiotics, and follow up on getting your gut back in good working order.

Instead of taking laxatives, take magnesium. Any variety except magnesium oxide, which doesn't absorb well. Gradually increase to bowel tolerance.

Your doctor should have also tested your thyroid antibodies, which he didn't. All my other values looked normal, while my antibodies were very high, indicating autoimmune thyroiditis (thyroid attacking itself). I'm now on Armour Thyroid.

Victoria

As the other members have said, but I also note your vit D level is too low. Dr's like it to be over 60 - much higher than yours which is still in normal range.

I'm not an expert on Vitamin D (even though I have to take it myself 'cause of low values when tested back in 2006), but You might like to take a look though Dr Mercola's website. He places great importance of Vit D levels & suggests that many of the population are way too low in their levels & need supplementation.

Thank you very much for all of your answers :Retro smile:

My doctor is very difficult.... he never does more than standard tests regardless of how bad you feel. I even had to convince him to perform tests like 25(OH)D3, FT3, FT4....(according to my doc vitamin D deficiency doesn't exist, TSH is sufficient to diagnose thyroid disorders and TSH < 10 doesn't require a treatment). Furthermore, my doc thinks that I am quite hypochondriac which makes it even more difficult to work with him! But I agree that I have to check for thyroid antibodies and for dysbiosis. I know that self-treatment is not the best way to go but in the meantime I ordered some T3 and T4 tablets but I am wondering what dose I should start with. Any ideas? (Are such questions allowed?)

I also agree that vitamin D level is not perfect (nevertheless 38 is much much better than 6.42). As I already mentioned it is very hard for me to take vitamin D3 tablets (since they worsen my fatigue a lot) but I have found an interesting relation between vitamin D and thyroid problems (http://nephropal.blogspot.com/2009/07/thyroid-part-iii-vitamin-d.html).

Instead of taking laxatives, take magnesium. Any variety except magnesium oxide, which doesn't absorb well. Gradually increase to bowel tolerance.

For years I am successfully taking sodium picosulfate (1-2 / week). In how far is magnesium better?

Thanks!!!

*GG*

caledonia

For years I am successfully taking sodium picosulfate (1-2 / week). In how far is magnesium better?

Magnesium is used by a zillion bodily processes. Many people are low in magnesium. It has a calming effect, relaxes muscles, regulates heart rhythm, and will also make your bowels work properly if you're constipated. You won't be getting clogged up then keep needing to get unclogged with laxatives.

Being constipated could be a sign that you need more magnesium. Other signs would be restless legs, muscle cramps, heart palpitations, anxiety, etc.

Just as a side note, I'm not sure if you're taking any other meds, but some meds do cause constipation.

Sallysblooms

P.O.T.S. now SO MUCH BETTER!
Yes, mag. is good. I use a powder I put in water each night. VERY good to have enough.

I can't believe your doc thinks you cannot be difficient in Vit. D. You certainly can. There are SO many good blood tests that can show what you need so you can supplement and get better.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
If your dr said that anything below 10 on TSH doesn't need treating is something that I would strongly challenge, but probably be best to find a new dr.

Athene

ihateticks.me
Dear x,

The first thing that struck me when I read your symptoms was that they are all the initial presenting symptoms my son had, for about 2 years, before being diagnosed with CFS by Dr De Meirleir. Constipation was his single worst symptom - he couldn't open his bowels without an enema most of the time.

Before reaching De Meirleir we had already found out that he had a lot of severe food allergies that were contributing to his constipation. He also had a deep gastroscopy and colonoscopy which found a lot of damage throughout his intestine and stomach. He also had shocking forms of life making their home in his intestine so you definitely need to get the poop test that Rickvank recommended (Make sure you follow what Rich says, he knows more than the rest of us, he's a doctor AND he knows about CFS - how rare is that?).

I think you need some proper tests of your immune system to find out why you are not getting rid of candida. Although candida can be provoked by antibiotic use, a persistent infection normally means your immune system has something wrong. I would want a test of the main cytokines (CD57, CD56, CD4 and soluble CD14 which is important in gut problems etc etc.) If you have the money for this, then I can send you the full list of what De Meirleir monitors in his patients.

Also, I think you really need to register with a new doctor. This may seem like hassle, but he has already proven that he does not know how to cure H pylori and, unless you get a sudden fabulous stroke of luck, I think you are probably going to need lots of unusual tests and lots of proactive help in the future: Can you imagine getting what you need from your present doctor?