• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My e-book “Tracing Chronic Fatigue Syndrome to mtDNA” will be free Wednesday and Thursday on Amazon

BeautifulDay

To my friends at PhoenixRising and at S4ME,

My e-book “Tracing Chronic Fatigue Syndrome to mtDNA” was released today on Amazon. I’ve set it up to be free for you to download on Wednesday and Thursday (November 28th and 29th). If you have any friends, family members, or other support boards that you believe might be interested in the book, please let them know about the two free days.

This is the hardest note I’ve written because every one of your opinions matters to me. You are part of my on-line family and I do not want to disappoint you. I’ve done my best at putting this together. It was written more specifically for the researchers because they are the ones who are going to find us treatments and cures. However, I have done my best to add in information that will help those who “like scientific details” to keep up. I didn’t want to add too much of this supplementary information for fear of boring the researchers. I struggled in trying to write on this tight rope.

For those of you who labor with the science on this website, please pick up a copy of the book while it’s free. I don’t want you to have to pay for the book if you change your mind later. Some of the illustrations may provide insight.

In my pursuit of searching for answers for my children and for myself, I found a pattern within a subset of the ME/CFS community. From that I formed a theory and then tested my theory in a small population. My theory was confirmed. I then reached out to another data pool to test the theory. There was again confirmation that my theory was correct.

In my study, 100% of ME/CFS patients with at least one child with ME/CFS and also a second child sick with similar symptoms all came from the same maternal haplogroup subclade. When looking at ME/CFS patients who had an ME/CFS+ family history (described in the book), 50% of the patients came from two maternal haplogroup subclades. Both haplogroups are known for reduced OXPHOS capacity and mitochondrial uncoupling.

Does this mean that if you are a mother with ME/CFS with a child with ME/CFS and another child with either ME/CFS or related health issues that you will be from one of those two subclades? No. This was a small study. It showed the connection with mitochondrial dysfunction. However, there are likely other haplogroup subclades and other variant combinations that are going to also cause a higher penetrance of ME/CFS.

While I focus in on a few specific haplogroups, the information on the pattern in the long run will be relevant to all of you (even those without a family history of ME/CFS and those who are not in those haplogroups). The haplogroups mentioned in the book are just a first stop (the low hanging easiest picking fruit). If you read through to the end, you’ll see how the finding actually provides a road map regarding the entire ME/CFS community through reaching a threshold level of mitochondrial dysfunction.

The research contained in the book backs-up the theories of hypometabolism and metabolomics raised by Ron Davis, PhD and Robert Naviaux, MD.

Topics within the book include: maternal haplogroups, mitochondrial and nuclear DNA variants, hypometabolism, and metabolomics. People with a lower level of mitochondrial dysfunction can be pushed over the threshold into ME/CFS by viruses (including the Epstein Barr virus which causes mononucleosis), by infections (including the bacterium Borrelia burgdorferi which causes Lyme Disease), Gulf War Syndrome, and exposure to chemicals. The health conditions of Multiple Sclerosis, Fibromyalgia, and Autistic Spectrum Disorder are reviewed in light of similar patterns and concerns linking these health issues to mitochondrial dysfunction. I provide links to over 130 scientific research references that back-up the positions I take.

I’ve put hundreds of hours into gathering the information, doing the research, organizing it, and trying to put it onto paper so that others can understand. I am completely out of energy. There were times I just wanted to give up and felt that putting this into any understandable form was too much for me. And then I’d get a note from a study participant at just the right moment thanking me for my work. Those notes kept me going. Thank you to all the people who answered my questions. It’s amazing how many good people are here supporting others every day.

I wrote this book under the pen name B. Day. People with chronic fatigue syndrome are discriminated against. I do not want the fact that I share the information in the book to impact my children’s future in the work force and their personal lives. Therefore, for those who know who I am (friends who I’ve met at conferences and who e-mail with me personally), please do not share my real name as this could have negative consequences for my children’s future.

For those who have never downloaded an e-book from Amazon, you do not need to have a Kindle or tablet to download the book. It can be read on most computers and smart phones. Here are the links to download the free Kindle Reading Apps:
- Kindle for PC
- Kindle for Mac
- Kindle for Android
- Kindle in iTunes store

If you are reading it in the Kindle Cloud Reader, go to “View Settings” (Aa) at the top and change it to viewing “One Column Only” at a time. The formatting may look better and the Table of Contents may look less loopy in that view. That’s true for all the Kindle Reading Apps. Go to “View Settings” and make changes until it looks the best for your reading experience.

If you find something helpful in the book or appreciate that I’ve tried to get this information to the researchers, please leave me a positive review on Amazon. If you know any researchers, please let them know about the book and that it’s free on Wednesday and Thursday. I believe the free book offer will start at 12:00 a.m. Pacific Standard Time (PST) and end at 11:59 p.m. PST. I’m now sure how Amazon will handle it internationally. I believe Amazon will make it free overseas too. This is a learning experience for me.

Here is the link to my book: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07KWC61F7/

Thank you!

Moof

Thank you so much for all your work on this. I'll look forward to reading it as best I can!

pattismith

You are beautiful, thank you for sharing,
I believe we are so much stronger together,
Helping each other in every possible ways