• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

My CFS/CFSAC Testimony for 10/2009 Meeting

LaurelB

Below is a video testimony I created and submitted for the upcoming October CFSAC meeting. I am unable to speak above a whisper, so my sister-in-law does the voice over for the video. There's a 5 minute time-line for testimonies, which is why some of it goes too fast. :)

Here's the link:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvweCk44WHs

I haven't heard back if it will be played at the meeting or not, but PANDORA already has it featured on their youtube website (http://www.youtube.com/user/pandoranet) and it sounds like things are moving forward.

I also made one without a voice over and set to music, primarily just for youtube and for emotional effect. :) It can be viewed here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQX0XLqdx1A

I'm in a really (really) bad crash right now, so probably won't be able to respond to comments -- but they are always welcomed and appreciated! Permission to repost either video anywhere you'd like. Thanks for watching! :)

Laurel

Lisa

Hi Laurel :)

I am at a loss for words, so will keep it short. Very good video and I hope they will accept it for the meeting.

Very sorry to hear you've been crashing badly. If virtual hugs have healing power then I hope this one is extra good because it is a Super Deluxe Extra Fuzzy Bunny Hug of Hope! :)

One more just to be sure - HUG!

Lisa :)

kolowesi

LaurelB testimony

Dear Laurel,

Look what you did! You are not invisible. You are eloquent and wise.

I believe that any policy maker who watches this will have to change their opinion of ME/CFS.

You have made a difference, for all of us.

Like Lisa said, Hugs! May all your dreams come true.

Kelly

Finch

Down With the Sickness
Hi Laurel,

You've done a brilliant job! Your spirit shines through even though you can't speak for yourself. I hope this testimony can be heard and seen at the meeting in October.

I don't know how anyone could see this and not be moved - not anyone with a soul, anyway! I was certainly moved to tears for you. Not tears of pity, but tears from seeing your obvious courage and desire to regain wellness.

You've really expressed yourself so well in the allotted time period - amazingly. I thank you and everyone else who is able to provide testimony in the hope that the message can get through to the right people. YOU ARE SO BRAVE!

Thank you, thank you, thank you Laurel!

Wishing you wellness and blessings for a wonderful future together with your fiance,
Finch

Jody

Laurel.

I watched your video, saw you. Heard your sister-in-law be your voice.

A work of art, Laurel.

A priceless work of art.

Can I put a link to it on my website and my blog?

I'd be honoured to make it accessible there.

You've done yourself proud, girl. :)

Snez

Laurel,
Thank you, thank you for creating this video and sharing yourself in this way.
I was moved very deeply by your testimony. I pray your contribution, and others like it, will make itself be heard throughout our society so that real and effective changes can be made.
I'm sorry that you are going through a crash- may you get fully well and realise your dreams.

Snez

MEKoan

Thank you, thank you, thank you... for this moving and eloquent piece.

It can take a team of people, a pile of money and a panel of communications experts to create something not half so effective.

Again, thank you!

Rest now!

Koan

MEG

Laurel:

The video has left me speechless.

I hope it is shown at the Oct. meeting and all over the world.

What a gift you have given to all of us with CFS...
Thank you.....

LaurelB

Thanks to everyone for such kind words... can't tell you what it means to me!!! So very much appreciated.

Jody, yes, you can put it up on your blog. I'd be honored to have it there. :)

Thanks again to everyone for all the wonderful comments.

dannybex

Absolute Perfection!

Hi Laurel,

You know I've enjoyed and read some of your posts, but those posts always are accompanied by your smiling avatar and overall upbeat demeanor. I had no idea you could not speak above a whisper and are so incapacitated. I know you will get better however because of your tenacity and determination that shine through in both your posts and your video.

Your video is PERFECTION. I agree with Koan...a team of highly paid consultants, producers, etc., could not have done a better job.

I will send it out to everyone I know. You have shown to us all that one person (and perhaps their friends/family) CAN make a difference.

And I know you will get better.

THANK YOU LAUREL,

Dan

S

SDD1244

Thank you, Laurel. You may speak softly, but you certainly carry a big stick. BRAVO !!!

LaurelB

Thanks SDD! :)

Just got word this morning that my video testimony has been accepted! It should be viewed at the meeting on October 30th around 9:15 a.m. along with the other patient testimonies. So that was very exciting to hear! The work paid off. :)

Now off to do some more resting! :)

KC22

Wonderful news!!!

This is so well done and will represent the many people who are sick with this disease.

Thank you so much for making this tape while you are so sick....

Frickly

Laurel

Thanks for taking the time to make this video. It must have taken alot of time and effort. I especially like the part where you said we are not tired but sick. I think I would have been diagnosed sooner if it weren't for the name of this disease. It not only confuses physicians but it also confuses sufferers who are searching for a cause to their pain. Well done......

jackie

Laurel

Congratulations!...and thank you! I'll add my words of praise for such a perfect job of painting a "picture" of us!

You were able to articulate what I'm no longer able to. And even more importantly, watching this allowed me to finally cry.

I hold back my tears of grief and loss as the very EFFORT of crying generally makes me feel worse.

But as you talked about the things you love to "do" (as if they were in the PRESENT...as if you were DOING those beloved things NOW) I exploded into tears. Tears of compassion, sympathy and understanding for you...but also for myself.

Instead of self-pity or rancor, you showed courage, stoicism and a resilience of spirit, with a determination to hold onto your life (no matter how it is being played out) that "we" all must have to survive.

This is our "hallmark" and I believe that anyone seeing you and hearing your words can't help but understand...at last!

I experienced a measure of healing which I am grateful for.

jackie

Jody

Laurel,

It comes as no surprise that they would accept your piece. They'd be crazy not to.

Fabulous.

Now if only they'd give out awards for the best one ... You'd win hands down. :D

Navid

thank you laurel

your story is my story. the same dreams and hope for recovery. thank you for sharing our story, pain, hopes and dreams.

warmest regards, lisag