• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Muscle soreness that won't go away?

vision blue

If someone can remind me how to think about muscle soreness in legs that will not go away, would be appreciated. It's not my current worse symptom, but maybe if i pick away at some things it will be better than nothing.

Davsey27

If your getting enough proteins

Could be a sign of a viral infection or post exertional malaise

Wishful

LDN worked for my neuropathic pain (focused on front thigh muscles). I think there are a lot of possible causes for leg pains, so you'll have to experiment.

Can you provide any more information about the pains? Does activity change the severity? Does the severity change during a day, or fluctuate over longer periods? Does anything make them worse? Do NSAIDs reduce the severity? Questions like that can help identify what the cause might be.

lenora

If Restless Legs become a problem, which they do for many, there is a prescription drug that works wonders. I just take it on as needed basis.

Another thing I've noticed is this: RLS can be caused by using antihistamines...I noticed a definite pattern with their use. So that would be the first thing I'd stop, followed by the electrolytes and if you still have problems, then proceed with seeing your GP (the drug is Pamiprexole...or something like that. It's close.) I've had no problems, or very, very few since I stopped the antihistamines which many people take for sleep. Yours, Lenora.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rufous McKinney

LDN worked for my neuropathic pain (focused on front thigh muscles).

I have some weird issue with my hip flexors....they have seized up, leaving me stranded 100 feet from my apartment unable to take another stop (i'm in even worse shape now)..and they will sometimes ache alot for seemlingly no reason.

So I was thinking I have some extra fibro problem in those muscles for some reason.

Wishful

So I was thinking I have some extra fibro problem in those muscles for some reason.

I wondered why my pain was focused in those specific muscles in my thighs. On really bad ME days, the pain would be body-wide, but on normal days it was just those front thigh muscles. Also, I have at time gotten sharp pains on the outside of my hips (either side). Wiggling my hip/spine connection, or pressure on my inner thigh would make the pain go away temporarily. My best (but still vague) hypothesis for these issues is that ME affects neural function, which makes some neural connections respond abnormally. I think the muscles are sending normal signals, but some cells in the connection overrespond, making our brains register 'pain'. The spine wiggling or pressure elsewhere might be sending signals that crosstalk or otherwise influence the pathway that is leading to neuropathic pain.

Sadly, this hypothesis doesn't lead to a treatment. :( LDN worked for the thigh pains, and after a year or two it effectively cured that, so it is possible to improve things. :)

Rufous McKinney

On really bad ME days, the pain would be body-wide, but on normal days it was just those front thigh muscles.

Right now, my laptop is centered on those exact muscles and that exact area, and I wonder sometimes about that.

I don't put the laptop on my lap- often but sometimes...like right now.

I take LDN its not involved in this issue it seems for me.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
If someone can remind me how to think about muscle soreness in legs that will not go away, would be appreciated. It's not my current worse symptom, but maybe if i pick away at some things it will be better than nothing.

I had remembered the leg cramps and pain I got the year I was bitten by something and had a rash with some other symptoms but there were other years where I had severe leg pain and I would try things like walking it off or increasing my electrolytes. However, nothing seemed to help except the passage of time.

So anyway, it makes me wonder if you have been tested for Lyme Disease. I do think Lyme and it's various co-infections can affect the legs a lot. (shrug emoji here)

Booble

No advice here as muscle soreness is the only symptom (knock on wood) I don't have but am wishing you well with solving it.

If the pain is new and in only one leg that be mindful of blood clots, though I suspect you are saying the soreness is in both legs.

vision blue

Thank you everyone for the wonderful replies. There's nothing like crowd source medicine from people like us.

To answer the questions::

I do not think it is RLS because there is no urge to move them and it does not go away when I do. (very nice observation on antihistamines)

What i feels like is the same kind of muscle soreness one might get from say running a marathon, but as you might have guessed, I haven't been running marathons unless I sleep walk more than I thougght.

Stairs are an especial trigger, even if i do them slowly pausing many seconds between each step. Doing both up one flight and down one flight seperated by less than one hour is also a big trigger. Walking slowly on slight inclines is a trigger as well.

Its actually been worse in the past, much worse, but noticed recently its been pretty constant for last 2 or more months even though not debilitating like my past episodes.

one of my earlies symptoms of disease (besides profoudn life alternign fatigue) was exaggerated muscle soreness from a half a block walk on a slight incline.

thanks also on lactic acidosis suggestio- i thought i had seen that in a post but could not find the thread again. Do you know if this requires blood tests be "off" - e.g. an anion gap? I have not seemed ot have had any evidence of acidosis (or alkalosis) on blood tests but we all know how that goes... Is it possible blood levels can be normal but still problem with lactic acid in muscles (above and beyond DOMS that many "normal" people get)?

this gets back i guess to the thread on the "warburg" effect an inbility to use glucose properly, but that thread is like 30 pages long and by the time i get to the end i forgot what i read in the beginning and have to start all over again.

on lyme, i've tried testing over the years, including getting a test from IgeneX and nothing comes up. I also started looking for co-infections (which can occur on their own) especially bartonellosis which i had once small piece of evdiece for, but that sort of evaporated.

in terms of neural pains i get those in other places, and perhaps that contribute., but don't think its the whole issue. Hard for my to give evidence of that. maybe because its so like what one gets from phsycial use, jsut exaggerated?

on magenisum oil, I do use that and have for years, whether it would be worse w/o that I don't know.

should add its the thighs.

I think heat makes it worse, but that's based on a one time thing when i had the second major attack of it (can describe this in detail if anyone thinks it would help or is interested) and tried heat on one thigh and left the other alone. the one with the heat went on to bother me for years. could have been coincidence but reluctant to use heat since.

Anyway, know that i've clarified that likely its some kind of exaggerated DOMS (dleayed onsete muscle soreness), maybe theyll be more...
thanks again

Wishful

Stairs are an especial trigger, even if i do them slowly pausing many seconds between each step.

That's definitely not what I had, and what LDN treated. My aches were unaffected by activity, or temperature, or any other factor aside from ME severity. I assume that fits neuropathic pain, while pain that is affected by activity most likely indicates a physical cause. On the positive side, physical causes should be easier to diagnose and treat. :)

lenora

Hmmm....It could be FM b/c that definitely causes muscle soreness. How is your overall muscle tone, do you think? For example, can you raise you leg with resistance? Have someone push your leg muscle (thigh) down while you're trying to raise it. Have you doctor do it....or PT if you attend it.

I have special exercises that I'm doing to rebuild muscle tone in the thigh area. My calves aren't exactly ready to walk for miles, but I do as much as possible with other muscles. Sometimes it's just plain hard to figure out.

You sound as if you've tried the obvious things, and we've all made obvious observations, but there you are still with the same problem. Perhaps a rheumatologist can help you figure it out (and boy, do I hate to send people off on the medical merry-go-round. Still, if you need help.....!) How about a camphor rub...or Ben Gay, that type of thing? Sometimes heat can actually make your muscles contract instead of relaxing them. Yours, Lenora.

vision blue

@lenora. Tjhanks for trying. Last test I had for strength against e.g. resistence was quite a few years back when they felt weak as well as sore. Proximal muscles were weaker than distal. HOw does that behaar on whether it's fibromylagia. Was noticing today it behaves like proper muscle soreness - e.g. after a period of inactivity theyre expecially sore and then using them gets them going again (but of course that can lead to more soreness).

That's good the special training is helping. What makes it special? Repititive activity makes me worse- makes muslces weaker rather than stronger, or at least it did when they were weak. it's possible since i walk more now (i'm so pumped up on sympathetic overactivation now but body doesn't realize when its been damaged maybe) , since that's a repeitive activity, the muscles just cant get better; don't know.

As you might imagine, been there done that with the doctor circuit. my ck and aldolase have always been normal - actually CK is below normal. Docs ignore that, but i remember reading someowhere that can happen in CFS in particular. Myabe that's the lead I should be following. maybe i should reask the queststN; does anyone else have below normal CK. My EMG ws normal as well, again all a long time ago. Maybe an integrative or functional med person would help, but its such an effort. hard to find, them, there's waiting lists, theyre expensive, and perhaps worst of all they want your life story; i dont' want ot start at the begggining. the story is too long for that.

vision blue

@Tammy That's pretty interesting. Which viral burden are you sporting? When youre muslces are sore, does it also feel like exaggerated response to minor "excercise"? I do know my knees go beserk when i get viral recurrences, never tied it in to muscles though but not sure i've payed attention and will try to. thanks

Tammy

@Tammy That's pretty interesting. Which viral burden are you sporting? When youre muslces are sore, does it also feel like exaggerated response to minor "excercise"? I do know my knees go beserk when i get viral recurrences, never tied it in to muscles though but not sure i've payed attention and will try to. thanks

Dealing with the EBV. I had muscle soreness both without exercise and also exaggerated response to minor exertion. It started out mostly in my legs. They would have a deep ache almost 24/7.

lenora

It could be a viral load, but in my case (this latest round, anyway), I spent a lot of time recently in a hospital bed from repeated hospitalizations. It could have been viral that was added to the problem, I simply don't know.

I do know that I don't exercise all at once. Work the thigh muscles separately say from the neck muscles (which I feel are important) and if horrible things start to happen, then back off and tell your PT or doctor (will probably get more info out of a good PT or Osteopath specializing in cranio-sacral therapy. I definitely would not go to a Chiropractor...cracking shouldn't be done on us even though we're told it's harmless.

I do need to build my calf muscles up somehow, and will have to check youtube for them. I've been avoiding them b/c of knee problems at this point. I had been walking, but injured my toe, so that was that for at least a time. Good luck. Yours, Lenora.