• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MTHFR Gene Defect Survey of ME patients

ME patients: Do you have a defective methylenetetrahydrofolate reductase gene (determined by test)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

SWAlexander

SWAlexander

I certainly don't have the C677T mutation, but there is a huge chunk of the MTHFR gene missing despite the 30x sequencing. So I don't really know if it's a deletion or a gap. I don't think it's a deletion though, because it's just too large of a piece. I guess something affected the MTHFR in both saliva samples.

example:
rs1801131(C;C) Number of risks. Complex. MTHFR rs1801131 is involved in converting 5-methylfolate (5MTHF) to tetrahydrofolate (THF). Unlike MTHFR C677T, this mutation does not lead to elevated homocysteine levels.

nerd

example:
rs1801131(C;C) Number of risks. Complex. MTHFR rs1801131 is involved in converting 5-methylfolate (5MTHF) to tetrahydrofolate (THF). Unlike MTHFR C677T, this mutation does not lead to elevated homocysteine levels.

This one was covered by 23andme v3 and an older AncestryDNA test, so I don't have to rely on the FGS from Nebula. I'm (A;A).

SWAlexander

This one was covered by 23andme v3 and an older AncestryDNA test, so I don't have to rely on the FGS from Nebula. I'm (A;A).

I see. I had a second DNA in Jan. 2021 (first in 2009) and I discovered quite a few changes.
Either more methylation or new science results.