• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MSM - anyone tried for muscle pain?

mermaid

I did a search and could not find MSM so apologies if I missed it and it's there somewhere.

I have had ME/CFs for several years but with very little muscle pain until this year when my symptoms worsened. It may have been sheer coincidence but I have been taking MSM supposedly for arthtitis until this year but had stopped it.

I didn't know until recently that Dr Cheney had written about MSM being brilliant for helping muscle pain so I have restarted it to see if it makes any difference again.

http://www.dfwcfids.org/medical/msm.html

(hope link works OK)

I did ask on another forum I am on and only one person appears to have tried it and it made her very ill, but the article does suggest that it should be started slowly. I have never had any problem with it and just wondered if anyone else has any experiences.

Tammie

I tried it and it helped a lot with pain, but I could not tolerate it bc it made me feel completely drugged and super dizzy (& caused a few oterh issues, too)....since I have read that many of us have a problem with processing H2S and since MSM is sulfur, it makes sense that many of us cannot toelrate it

mermaid

Thank you Tammie for your reply and I am grateful and intrigued as Cheney has recommended it and so few people seem to know of it. I think I tried it by accident really before I had ME/CFS as it is sold here in the UK for use with glucosamine for arthritis. Luckily I have had no adverse results at all so far, so I think I will keep trying for the muscle pain and see how I go with it.

My gut issues have improved recently (after being very bad) so maybe my processing of sulfur is part of that.

Victoria

I tried MSM many, many years ago (after buying & reading a book on it attributes).

I took it for 2 months (powder) & the relief from headaches was nothing short of miraculous. Didn't buy/take any more for about 12 months.

When the headaches came back, bought some more & it didn't help at all. Don't know whether the first time was co-incidence or effective treatment..

I had actually forgotten all about MSM until this thread.

Athene

ihateticks.me
Hi,

As Tammie said, MSM will only make you worse if you are a hydrogen sulphide producer. So will magnesium sulphate baths and anything else with sulphur. Your body cannot use the sulphur properly, so the bacteria just help themselves, and poison you with it.

The only thing I have found that can reduce muscle pain slightly (I am not talking miracles here, just moving from unbearable to bearable) is drinking really vast amounts of water. I think it flushes some kind of toxin/toxins out of the muscle tissue. I actually think the main toxin may be hydrogen sulphide.

helsbells

I am trying for Interstitial cystytis, small doses at the moment - It gives me diareah (Sp - apologies) also weirdly affects my periods which it says nothing about in the book. never been able to keep going with this but it was supposed to be good for allergies too so I did really want to.

A

Amyiable

I'm one of the people who like MSM. It helps with brain fatigue and sometimes I use alternatively to coffee. I use high dose (several table spoons), and it lifts fatigue. I learned this form another group. I don't take for pain, but have heard others say it reduces their pain.

Best,
Amy

mermaid

Well I have been back on it again for a week or so, not up to a high dose but I am not having any problems. My recovery from pain is gradually improving but I can't really put that down to the MSM as such as it was improving before after being for me quite bad. I did overdo it at the weekend with some heavy duty pruning and had significant pain after but it was only 2 days worth. I did not realise that you could get MSM as a powder. I am taking it in tablet form which would go up to 2400mg when I get up to the dose recommended. Maybe would be cheaper as a powder? My fatigue is improving too at the moment.

dsdmom

Years ago before I became ill I took MSM and loved it - swore by the stuff. This past summer I sprained my ankle and then the other one was giving me horrible issues too so I decided to try it again. This time around I got very sick from it - like having the worst flu ever. From 'talking' with Rich Van K, it seems to be an issue with my methylation cycle (I think that was the conclusion?). Anyway I kept retrying it at very low doses but kept having the same result.

If you can tolerate it, keep with it - I think it's great stuff!