• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Motivation and ME/CFS

SOC

If one is highly motivated half of the definitioon is missing. Does that mean in that case one can not have fatique?

I suppose not. :) Looks like we just need to dump the word from the name entirely. I'll take Chronic Syndrome over Chronic Fatigue Syndrome any day. ;) I mean, heck, I've got chronic all kinds of things -- chronic immune dysfunction, chronic autonomic dysfunction, chronic infections -- I'm just all around chronic. ;)

My impression of the word "fatigue" as it applies to ME/CFS is more consistent with this definition from The Free Dictionary than "lack of energy and motivation". I particularly like the Physiology definition.

fa·tigue (f
schwa.gif
-t
emacr.gif
g
prime.gif
)

n.
1. Physical or mental weariness resulting from exertion.
2. Something, such as tiring effort or activity, that causes weariness: the fatigue of a long hike.
3. Physiology The decreased capacity or complete inability of an organism, an organ, or a part to function normally because of excessive stimulation or prolonged exertion.
4. The weakening or failure of a material, such as metal or wood, resulting from prolonged stress.
a. Manual or menial labor, such as barracks cleaning, assigned to soldiers.
b. fatigues Clothing worn by military personnel for labor or for field duty.

v. fa·tigued, fa·tigu·ing, fa·tigues
v.tr.
1. To tire with physical or mental exertion; weary.
2. To create fatigue in (a metal or other material).

v.intr.
To be or become fatigued. See Synonyms at tire1.

MeSci

ME/CFS since 1995; activity level 6?
I suppose not. :) Looks like we just need to dump the word from the name entirely. I'll take Chronic Syndrome over Chronic Fatigue Syndrome any day. ;) I mean, heck, I've got chronic all kinds of things -- chronic immune dysfunction, chronic autonomic dysfunction, chronic infections -- I'm just all around chronic. ;)

My impression of the word "fatigue" as it applies to ME/CFS is more consistent with this definition from The Free Dictionary than "lack of energy and motivation". I particularly like the Physiology definition.

fa·tigue(f
schwa.gif
-t
emacr.gif
g
prime.gif
)
n.
1. Physical or mental weariness resulting from exertion.
2. Something, such as tiring effort or activity, that causes weariness: the fatigue of a long hike.
3. Physiology The decreased capacity or complete inability of an organism, an organ, or a part to function normally because of excessive stimulation or prolonged exertion.
4. The weakening or failure of a material, such as metal or wood, resulting from prolonged stress.
a. Manual or menial labor, such as barracks cleaning, assigned to soldiers.
b. fatigues Clothing worn by military personnel for labor or for field duty.
v. fa·tigued, fa·tigu·ing, fa·tigues
v.tr.
1. To tire with physical or mental exertion; weary.
2. To create fatigue in (a metal or other material).
v.intr.
To be or become fatigued. See Synonyms at tire1.

Yes, that's better. I don't rely on generic search engines for definitions (or anything else - I look for reputable sources, which generic search engines can sometimes find). They can just throw up common misconceptions. But I expected better of MedlinePlus!

Hip

If one is highly motivated half of the definitioon is missing. Does that mean in that case one can not have fatique?
I think it just means that some people use the term fatigue to mean lack of energy and motivation.

If you look at the Wikipedia article on fatigue (in the medical sense), there is no mention of loss of motivation occurring in connection with fatigue. So definitions vary.

Just came across another ME/CFS patient who talks about the "crushing lack of motivation that accompanies CFS" — see her blog article here. So it would appear that some ME/CFS patients can relate to low motivation symptoms.

taniaaust1

I have both kinds of fatigue which can go on.. I dont know why it can vary so much for me. I can have extreme fatigue and feel highly movitated still or even "wired" (which is very annoying when I feel like that as Im sooo much wanting to do things and find I still cant.. usually will fall over or start to accidentally injure myself in other ways or start dropping things everywhere the moment I try, so have no choice but to force myself to stay in bed or just sit or things become disasterous eg oven burns etc).

other times I get the fatigue and have my motivation missing too. I think with the last one, I may be suffering more mental fatigue along witth the physcial fatigue.

Im an A personality and often can be too motivated in doing things (which does cause me then issues.. guess who was painting cupboards yesterday as they didnt match a room (I still have a sore toe where i dropped a drawer i was painting on my foot due to I shouldnt have probably been doing that).

Firestormm

Before I go and rest on the couch - not through lack of motivation to do more - but because I am a realistic and accepting buggar these days; I had a quick flick through the thread thus far and seem not to have found any definition of motivation.

Lots about motivation maybe being associated with fatigue; but not of motivation itself. Seemed a little odd - so I wondered if we are all thinking the same about what motivation is considered to be; what it is defined as; indeed how it is defined.

Anyway, here's the definition from the Wonderful World of Wiki :balloons:

Motivation is a psychological feature that arouses an organism to act towards a desired goal and elicits, controls, and sustains certain goal-directed behaviors.

It can be considered a driving force; a psychological one that compels or reinforces an action toward a desired goal. For example, hunger is a motivation that elicits a desire to eat.

Motivation is the purpose or psychological cause of an action.[1]

Motivation has been shown to have roots in physiological, behavioral, cognitive, and social areas. Motivation may be rooted in a basic impulse to optimize well-being, minimize physical pain and maximize pleasure. It can also originate from specific physical needs such as eating, sleeping or resting, and sex.

Motivation is an inner drive to behave or act in a certain manner. "It's the difference between waking up before dawn to pound the pavement and lazing around the house all day."[2] These inner conditions such as wishes, desires, goals, activate to move in a particular direction in behavior.

Read more about the various interpretations, models and theories...

So. I am motivated to rest now because I know that I need to in order to better manage my health restrictions and maximise my wellbeing. Catch you all later dudes and dudettes :)