• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

More on gut microbiome: Wisdom, loneliness and your intestinal multitude

YippeeKi YOW !!

Here's the summary:

"Scientists have taken the connection between wisdom, loneliness and biology one step further, reporting that wisdom and loneliness appear to influence -- and/or be influenced by --
microbial diversity of the gut."

The study itself is interesting if a bit confusing, at least to me, and at least today, not my most shining moment ....

But the assumptions reached are provocative and thought-inducing, at least regarding the importance and far reaching consequences of the gut biome ....

ljimbo423

Wishful

It looks like a lot of 'ifs' and 'maybes', and it's psychiatric research, so I'd expect them to look for interpretations that would justify psychiatric treatments of physical diseases. I expect that there are some correlations between gut microbiome and mental states, but the causes and effects will be hard to determine. Does a complex gut microbiome make you wiser, or do wiser people eat healthier? People who chose to live alone may have less varied diets (and simpler microbiome) than people who eat out a lot, plus the addition of often going with another person's choice of restaurant or home cooking. Going out with friends certainly expanded my choices of foods. Will eating monkey eyes and fried breadfruit with tamarind sauce make you more gregarious or wiser?

joshua.leisk

Joshua Leisk (Researcher)
Cheers! Our gut microbiome can definitely cause these alterations in the same way as the HHV - eg. C.diff secretes GDH as part of its replication cycle, which creates the same cascade as HHV.

LPS-positive bacteria can do this via a different input, by affecting Acetyl-CoA. I’m sure there will be other bacteria with similar interactions. It’s going to be fun mapping them all. 😋