• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Monoclonal antibodies

Hip

This looks like it could end up as a future therapy for chronic fatigue syndrome:

Monoclonal antibodies: short-term therapy for the long-term treatment of chronic viral infections?

From the 4th paragraph of the above link:

...under certain conditions, a very short course of treatment (a few days) with antiviral monoclonal antibodies can have an additional effect similar to that of a vaccine. After three weeks, and even though the injected monoclonal antibodies had disappeared, the researchers indeed detected a potent and long-lasting (more than a year) antiviral immune response...

glenp

"and this too shall pass"
Very interesting!! I have often wondered what triggered good days that I used to have. I wonder if it could be antibodies?
I hope they do something with this soon.

glen

Yes, RItuximab (Mabthera) is one of them and is used in trials by Norway scientists to treat CFS. Actually, they must have finished their latest trial, but I don't see the results are out yet.

redo

Quote: "After three weeks, and even though the injected monoclonal antibodies had disappeared, the researchers indeed detected a potent and long-lasting (more than a year) antiviral immune response (...)"

"In mice, a short and early course of therapeutic monoclonal antibodies targeting both the viruses and the cells infected by these viruses thus enables permanent recovery from a fatal chronic infection."

Rituximab is a monoclonal antibody. And in a small trial it has given a strong temporary symptom relief lasting for over a month in 3/3 patients.

Perhaps monoclonal antibodies work even better if the person have received or is receiving ARV at the same time. Just a though...

mojoey

One of the abstracts presented at the NIH conference talked about TSG101 as being a protein that was expressed on every cell infected with a retrovirus. It also discussed the possible therapy of using monoclonal antibodies that target TSG101.