• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Money for CFS research via Pepsi Refresh project

beesknees

On the website www.refresheverything.com you can fill out an application to receive money for a cause through Pepsi. On the website it reads-We're looking for people, businesses, and non-profits with ideas that will have a positive impact.
A couple examples on things you can already vote on are 1. Provide young woman with breast cancer comfort and basic needs. 2. Fund one year research to find a cure for spinal Muscular Atophy.
I went on their to vote and then it dawned on me(slow brain) why not one for CFS. We can definitly use some research money!!!
If someone could read through all the rules and fill out one for CFS research. Then if all of us on the website vote for it, we could rack up alot of votes and maybe win some money for research! :)
They pick new ones every month and this month is done, but we can send an application in for April.

Frank

Please someone in America submit a page for this so we can start voting..

Title could be:
"Find a cure for the invisible disease Chronic Fatigue Syndrome (ME)."

Description
The funds will go to the Whittemore Peterson Institute in Reno + details
This disease makes millions of people lives a living hell!

maybe accompany with the movie by the CDC: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCUvygbYdXs

Who want's to submit this?

beesknees

I do hope someone can fill this out.
Frank- I like the title, especially adding M.E. to it. How much money should be asked for? It ranges from $5,000-250,000.

Dolphin

we have no time to lose, wpi good for everyone?
Would the CAA get more votes? - they've 20,000 on their newsletter list, IIRC. Of course, we could put down WPI one month, the CAA next if the WPI didn't get it.

beesknees

I will gladly fill it out but where do we want the money to go?

Thanks Martlet for your excitement and willingness to do this!! You're awesome.

tomK- I like the idea of first doing research for CFS to go to WPI. Then next month doing the CAA. Does anyone here have access to the newsletter email list or know how to contact whoever makes the newsletter to see if they can add it on there. 20,000 votes would be certainly be great.

Frank

you won't get 20,000 votes, probably something of 10% (2000) which is also great. Anyway Trish/Martlet i'm waiting for you to clear the path for voting ;-)

Dolphin

tomK- I like the idea of first doing research for CFS to go to WPI. Then next month doing the CAA. Does anyone here have access to the newsletter email list or know how to contact whoever makes the newsletter to see if they can add it on there. 20,000 votes would be certainly be great.
I love to see enthusiasm but I don't think the CAA are going to releasing their address list to anybody! (it would breach privacy as much as anything).

But I've no reason to think they wouldn't include it. It could be done for their research program if people wanted (this would still pay for Dr. Vernon's wages which need to be paid for). I doubt they'd do it for another group unless it was done so they did it first, they won, and then when announcing they won, said that the next month people were trying to get the WPI to win.

Martlet

Just started filling it out and am constrained by the number of characters allowed. Also, would WPI mind us taking information directly from their site? Anyone have a contact there to ask?

Frank

As your slogan on the bottom says, be not afraid and fill it in. Every day is a day of voting lost. If you don't want to fill it in, i'll look for someone else.

beesknees

Another piece of good news. Even if we don't get the most votes, if we make the top ten we will still receive funding. Not sure if its for the full amount. But at least some money.

Can't wait to vote. :)

I am very interested in this Frank!

Great find.

I want to submit something for the forums! -- We do CFS/ME patient education, patient support/networking, we could easily give small grants for CFS/ME related stuff. As far as I know, there really aren't any organizations that do what we do - Koan's laptop is a great example. We have and NEED a network, and support. We could also (just thinking) do something for simple housing for people with severe CFS/ME + MCS. That seems to be a pressing need. Ya, that's where I'd like cash to go. I'm thinking about Lisa in a tent as an example.
So, ideally, I'd love to see these forums submitted :)

Frank: They aren't accepting any more submissions for this month. So any submissions would be for May voting. [EDIT - May, not April. April submissions closed the 15th of March. time deadlines]

Just how many votes COULD we get? An individual can vote for 10 ideas every day, all month long.

Dolphin

I am very interested in this Frank!

Great find.

I want to submit something for the forums! -- We do CFS/ME patient education, patient support/networking, we could easily give small grants for CFS/ME related stuff. As far as I know, there really aren't any organizations that do what we do - Koan's laptop is a great example. We have and NEED a network, and support. We could also (just thinking) do something for simple housing for people with severe CFS/ME + MCS. That seems to be a pressing need. Ya, that's where I'd like cash to go. I'm thinking about Lisa in a tent as an example.
So, ideally, I'd love to see these forums submitted :)

Frank: They aren't accepting any more submissions for this month. So any submissions would be for May voting. [EDIT - May, not April. April submissions closed the 15th of March time deadlines]

Just how many votes COULD we get? An individual can vote for 10 ideas every day, all month long.
Giving grants to individuals you might never have met sounds like a nightmare to organise. And to be honest, that's not something I'll be donating to.

starryeyes

This looks great. I'd like to see it go to our fund here lelv, but I have to agree with Tom on this. The problem is people who don't have CFS might join just to get money... etc...

I'd like to see the money go to the WPI but I'll support whatever the majority decides.

I know the WPI wouldn't mind us taking info from their site to fill in the form Martlet, but you can email Dr. Judy and ask now that it seems there's time. If you need her email addy, PM me.

tee

Hm. Another question: How many votes does it take to win? Is it even doable?

You have to submit (I think, if you win) exactly what you'll do with the money... or something like that. I don't know if 'general WPI' would work.

"that's not something I'll be donating to."
Eh, it's voting, not donating. Right?