• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Molnupiravir ,an antiviral drug, is being trialled to treat Covid cases in NI and in Britain.

Abha

Abha
In Northern Ireland and in Britain the drug Molnupiravir is being used in a study to help those over 50s and younger adults with pr-existing covid conditions.Seemingly 1200 such people in UK(400 plus in NI) are taking part in the trial.Molnupiravir is said to be a potentially life-saving drug and can be taken as a pill at home.If anyone is interested in this they must test positive for covid and have had experienced symptoms in previous 5 days.I understand that they have to go through their GP too

Fiona Loud, from Kidney Care UK, said antiviral treatments would be "a vital tool to give more protection to people who are most at risk from Covid-19, including those with kidney disease".

As Dr Markov in Ukraine has connected Kidney infections with Me/CFS in his auto vaccine treatments then such a drug may help some with ME/CFS too.

Has anyone used this drug?If so how has it helped/or otherwise....in your case?

CSMLSM

Anti viral drugs I believe will help, maybe.

I completely believe ME/CFS is a Post Viral condition. Many also believe it is caused by Mononucleosis (Mono) and other viruses like it. Mono is caused by epstein barr virus (EBV) and is a virus that once you have it and have seemingly recovered, you will have a latent EBV infection.

ADJECTIVE
(of a quality or state) existing but not yet developed or manifest; hidden or concealed.
"they have a huge reserve of latent talent"

I believe it is this latent infection which requires measures to be taken by the virus to surpress the innate immune system (production of Viral interlukin 10 in this case) and cause an immune activation that is pushed more towards adaptive immunity than the innate. This is so the virus can persist so as to survive without being eradicated.

Like a cancer the dysfunction increases and spreads. Eventually the immune system in the brain recruits immune cells from outside the brain and nervous system. This is where the infected B cells with EBV past on their latent EBV infection to the microglial cells and thus starting the spread of dysfunction there.

Microglial cells are not only immune related cells in the brain. They also function to look after neurons, repairing them and organising connections between neurons and even removing damaged or unneccessary neurons by eating them essentially. They are vital for proper brain function, memory and keeping your brain free of microbes.

So if this anti viral can eradicate the EBV infection or similar without needed continual use, without side effects, yeah it will work.

I doubt this is a long term solution.

CSMLSM

Yes EBV is very common I believe 90% of all adults carry a latent infection, so you are correct in your assumption that we would be exposed again quite easilly.
Although the latent EBV infection only becomes a problem as the dysfunction increases.
Most people do not spiral into mass dysfunction say developing ME/CFS, Fibro.
But those of us that this happens to, maybe because of genetic variation in our immune system do develope these conditions.
I believe an underlying latent EBV infection is a risk factor for Long Covid, which is essentially ME/CFS conbined with other tissue damage caused by the virus. Its a post viral condition

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
Let's not forget low nk function, this would allow latent viruses to reactivate.
Was nk function low before cfs or did the initial onset infection damage the immune system or is it immune exhaustion???

CSMLSM

Hi heapsreal its nice to meet you, my name is Daniel.

EBV uses Viral Interlukin 10 to surpress innate immunity so it can persist- latency. This naturally causes a shift towards adaptive immunity.
This is because Viral interlukin 10 behaves differently to Human interlukin 10 and causes disruption in the normal funtioning of the interukin 10 process.
Post-Viral condition, because of how the virus persists post infection. Small amount of dysfunction leads to mass dysfunction and ultimately it leads to ME/CFS.
Once EBV gets into the immune cells of the brain and nervous system this can become ME/CFS, I believe.

Daniel

heapsreal

EBV uses Viral Interlukin 10 to surpress innate immunity so it can persist- latency. This naturally causes a shift towards adaptive immunity.
This is because Viral interlukin 10 behaves differently to Human interlukin 10 and causes disruption in the normal funtioning of the interukin 10 process.
Post-Viral condition, because of how the virus persists post infection. Small amount of dysfunction leads to mass dysfunction and ultimately it leads to ME/CFS.
Once EBV gets into the immune cells of the brain and nervous system this can become ME/CFS, I believe.

Daniel

I recall one guru explaining

Daniel
I recall one guru explaining herpes viruses can down regulate interferon, which has a negative effect on nk function. This was the theory behind adding immunovir to antivirals as it would improve nk function. Dr chia would just use interferon.
I'm interested in trying isentress for herpes viruses.

CSMLSM

I must admit I am not familiar with your information, but a quick look at the interferon in a search and yes this is very much what I am saying, it fits my theory/answer.

Interferons ( IFN s) are a group of signaling proteins [1] made and released by host cells in response to the presence of several pathogens , such as viruses , bacteria , parasites , and also tumor cells. In a typical scenario, a virus-infected cell will release interferons causing nearby cells to heighten their anti-viral defenses.

This would indeed be neccessary for a latent virus to persist within a cell. It goes without saying. I have probably researched this and forgot, retaining only more vital info.
I hope you understand. I am starting to fill back in the gaps.

Daniel

heapsreal

I must admit I am not familiar with your information, but a quick look at the interferon in a search and yes this is very much what I am saying, it fits my theory/answer.

Interferons ( IFN s) are a group of signaling proteins [1] made and released by host cells in response to the presence of several pathogens , such as viruses , bacteria , parasites , and also tumor cells. In a typical scenario, a virus-infected cell will release interferons causing nearby cells to heighten their anti-viral defenses.

This would indeed be neccessary for a latent virus to persist within a cell. It goes without saying. I have probably researched this and forgot, retaining only more vital info.
I hope you understand. I am starting to fill back in the gaps.

Daniel
Your I initial post plus mine shows how complicated it all is I guess👍

Guwop2

What are the risks of trying this drug for people with M.E/CFS? (im thinking of getting some from India)

I had the AZ vaccine shot, which totally destroyed me and lowered my health-baseline, could this potentialy do something similar? (as a background i have taken a long course of Aciclovir with zero side-effects...Molnupiravir also being an Anti-viral)

-based in the UK

Last edited:

heapsreal

What are the risks of trying this drug for people with M.E/CFS? (im thinking of getting some from India)

I had the AZ vaccine shot, which totally destroyed me and lowered my health-baseline, could this potentialy do something similar? (as a background i have taken a long course of Aciclovir with zero side-effects...Molnupiravir also being an Anti-viral)

-based in the UK

The newer antivirals can be quite expensive, so a long course can really add up. Plus it's a gamble if it works. They're the initial thoughts I'd have on these newer antivirals.

Guwop2

The newer antivirals can be quite expensive, so a long course can really add up. Plus it's a gamble if it works. They're the initial thoughts I'd have on these newer antivirals.

Ive been quoted $25 for 40 tablets (taken twice a day), so imo the price isnt too bad, however the main concern is whether they'll have deleterious effect on my health. I suppose it's hard to say until people try it.

heapsreal

Ive been quoted $25 for 40 tablets (taken twice a day), so imo the price isnt too bad, however the main concern is whether they'll have deleterious effect on my health. I suppose it's hard to say until people try it.
That's good. Honestly had no idea of the cost

Rvanson

Anti viral drugs I believe will help, maybe.

I completely believe ME/CFS is a Post Viral condition. Many also believe it is caused by Mononucleosis (Mono) and other viruses like it. Mono is caused by epstein barr virus (EBV) and is a virus that once you have it and have seemingly recovered, you will have a latent EBV infection.

ADJECTIVE
(of a quality or state) existing but not yet developed or manifest; hidden or concealed.
"they have a huge reserve of latent talent"

I believe it is this latent infection which requires measures to be taken by the virus to surpress the innate immune system (production of Viral interlukin 10 in this case) and cause an immune activation that is pushed more towards adaptive immunity than the innate. This is so the virus can persist so as to survive without being eradicated.

Like a cancer the dysfunction increases and spreads. Eventually the immune system in the brain recruits immune cells from outside the brain and nervous system. This is where the infected B cells with EBV past on their latent EBV infection to the microglial cells and thus starting the spread of dysfunction there.

Microglial cells are not only immune related cells in the brain. They also function to look after neurons, repairing them and organising connections between neurons and even removing damaged or unneccessary neurons by eating them essentially. They are vital for proper brain function, memory and keeping your brain free of microbes.

So if this anti viral can eradicate the EBV infection or similar without needed continual use, without side effects, yeah it will work.

I doubt this is a long term solution.

Not so sure, it is post-viral, like COVID. I came down with ME/CFS 5 hours after a Teriaki-Chicken dinner with my fiancé and our friends, none of who ordered it. I left at 9 PM and at 2AM was heading for my bathroom sick as all ****. Thought it was food poisoning, like Salmonella, and I'd be OK, soon as I vomited and flushed it all out of the bowels enough.

How wrong I was!

It took me almost a year to go back to work. I was bed bound for much of that time. I know I was lucky to go back to work, but I crashed on the weekends, so I could maintain a job, after using up all my energy during the week. Fiancé ditched me for a real ****-head. I see there is some news that it might be bacterial, which makes sense to me. I have no, absolutely no pity for “long-haulers” of COVID. We were sick with “Yuppie-Flu” to them, and it's possible that we are not being ignored anymore, but I'm not counting on it at all.

After all, they did indeed become sick with a virus, and most people(90%?) have EBV in them, most with no symptoms, as most have the shingle's virus, that often never appears.

godlovesatrier

Problem is this drug causes mutation of the virus within the host. This isn't very well known but the science is starting to pick up on it.

I contacted Mr Lin for more information he works out of Stanford in immunology I believe. He said other antivirals don't do that, but Molnupiravir does mutate the virus within the host. I mean we know how bad that is in HIV patients, so I can only imagine it might actually cause LC patients to become even worse, assuming the new mutated covid virus caused other symptoms, or a resurgance of original symptoms.

I hope they do follow up work at 3 6 and 12 months.