• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mold toxins: Would I need to move homes or cities?

If my mycotoxin test comes back positive, my doctor said I should move homes ASAP. I’m in NYC.

How do you all maneuver this? I mean, maybe it just requires a move to a new apartment, or maybe I need to move to a drier climate entirely?

Is the best move to just go on trips in different locations around the country and test it out? In covid times that seems especially difficult, and with my fatigue I can’t imagine traveling much at all.

I’ve read how even in dry climates toxic mold can grow. That aside, I’m sure a drier climate helps many people and who knows, maybe I could be one of them. Are AZ and NM the best states to go to? It’s hard for me to fathom packing up and moving there, especially now, but it might be on the horizon.

IThinkImTurningJapanese

I’ve read how even in dry climates toxic mold can grow. That aside, I’m sure a drier climate helps many people and who knows, maybe I could be one of them. Are AZ and NM the best states to go to? It’s hard for me to fathom packing up and moving there, especially now, but it might be on the horizon.

Wherever you go, mold can be a problem. But dry is better.

I've got an ozone generator for problem situations. It's an expensive solution, but I've been pleased with it. The guy I bought it from encouraged me to use bleach since I was in a crisis situation. A bleach wash is the best thing I've found for reducing mold exposure.

Sunlight and ventilation are also valuable deterrents.

Just a heads up, my doctor told me I could stay in NYC but would need to get my new apt tested for mold. I think he's right in my case, though I agree a drier climate would be better overall. I don't have many connections elsewhere and I can't drive so leaving here is tricky. I'm gonna stay and find a new place.