• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

MitoQ

G

George

O.K. I'm just going to post it (grins)

Introduction to Our Platform Technology

Mitochondria, present in all cells, provide energy for life processes. It is now recognized that mitochondrial dysfunction plays a role in the pathogenesis of several degenerative disorders. Antioxidants are the body's defense against free radicals. Antioxidants block the effects of oxidation, a chemical reaction that combines single electrons with oxygen to generate free radicals, which can attack and destroy cells.

Antipodean's proprietary targeted lipophilic cation technology prevents oxidative damage by concentrating antioxidants in mitochondria. MitoQ is targeted to mitochondria by covalent attachment to a lipophilic triphenylphosphonium cation. Because of the large mitochondria membrane potential, the cations accumulate within cellular mitochondria up to 1,000 fold, compared to non-targeted antioxidants such as Coenzyme Q or its analogues. This accumulation enables the antioxidant moiety to block lipid peroxidation, and maintain the integrity of the mitochondria membrane by protecting it from oxidative damage.

(This isn't like a curative type of treatment. It's like taking Co-Q10 (massive doses) to try to sop up the damage that's happening to us right now. If this was available right now it would be wayyyyyyy cool because it looks as if it could be more effective than Co-Q10. But it just reduces the chance of damage. It won't undo it once it's happened. Looks like only time will do that (sigh))

Antipodean's lead compound MitoQ (mitoquinone) is a mitochondria-targeted antioxidant that selectively blocks mitochondrial oxidative damage and prevents cell death. Mitochondrial dysfunction underlies a wide range of degenerative diseases, in which oxidative stress plays a key pathogenic role, including such diseases as NASH, Type 2 diabetes, ischemic heart disease, among others. Therefore, protecting mitochondria from oxidative damage is a promising and innovative therapeutic strategy.
mitoq-copy.jpg

The lipophilic cation is accumulated 5- to 10- fold into the cytoplasm from the extracellular space by the plasma membrane potential and then further accumulated 100- to 500- fold into the mitochondrial matrix by the mitochondrial membrane potential.
MitoQ is being evaluated as an oral treatment for liver inflammation that leads to fibrosis and is associated with metabolic dysfunction. The company is also investigating topical indications that involve mitochondrial dysfunction, including dermatologic applications and retinal degeneration.

To bad it's still in trials

Chris

I am a bit late to this, but mitoQ is advertized as available from ProHealth--it is expensive--has anyone tried it yet? Chris

EtherSpin

anyone else had a crack? I see its about $2 AUD for a 5mg tablet at claimed 287 (interesting number!) efficiency gain over CoQ10 - I didn't realise it was available here and can see why Catly dropped it but one of my FB friends with CFS says it makes a tangible difference after a week or two of dosing.
CoQ10 itself is one of those supps where the benefit has never been noticable to me but I've felt like I should be taking it so I buy a jar.. use it feel guilty,leave it for 6 months , hear another direct testimonial then go back on it again!

mitoq.com is unsurprisingly one of the websites for it besides getting it through prohealth

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
anyone else had a crack? I see its about $2 AUD for a 5mg tablet at claimed 287 (interesting number!) efficiency gain over CoQ10 - I didn't realise it was available here and can see why Catly dropped it but one of my FB friends with CFS says it makes a tangible difference after a week or two of dosing.
CoQ10 itself is one of those supps where the benefit has never been noticable to me but I've felt like I should be taking it so I buy a jar.. use it feel guilty,leave it for 6 months , hear another direct testimonial then go back on it again!

mitoq.com is unsurprisingly one of the websites for it besides getting it through prohealth

I have just recently started pqq which is suppose to help regenerate new mitochondria and is suppose to be good with q10.

Been about 2 weeks and have 2 more weeks left. Hard to say if helping but nothing negative to report.

How long should I try MitoQ for?

This is an old thread but I just started taking MitoQ 10mg each morning. I have been taking it for about 3 weeks but have not noticed any changes yet.

I'm wondering whether I should order more and continue taking it for longer to see if I notice any improvements over a period of time (maybe another month or two?) or whether I should have already experienced a benefit if it is helpful for me?

Any thoughts? Would be good to hear experience from others who have or are taking it (or even standard coq10)?
I never noticed any difference with standard coq10 in the past.

Thanks.