• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mitigate anaphylaxis with carbohydrates

kewia

When my Costochondritis is so worse that my rib muscles and tendon plate don't relax any more (anaphylaxis), I instinctively eat some sugary food and observed some relieve of symptoms.
I searched for this phenomenon on the web and found this old paper committing the observed behavior for different sugars:
INHIBITORY EFFECTS OF CARBOHYDRATES ON HISTAMINE RELEASE AND MAST CELL DISRUPTION BY DEXTRAN

A similar behavior between blood sugar and anaphylaxis was observed here:
THE RELATIONSHIP OF THE BLOOD SUGAR LEVEL TO THE SEVERITY OF ANAPHYLACTIC SHOCK

Unfortunately, I don't find any studies for humans, so beware of the validity of these statements.

Some people react badly to glucose, but the first paper list several sugars with the appropriate percent of inhibition, maybe there is some alternate type of sugar to be tolerated by people reacting badly to glucose intake.