• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Mikovits/Blomberg/Baumgarten in Sweden Dec 02nd

shannah

The title of Judy's Presentation is:

HMRV (Human MLV-Related Viruses) in ME/CFS and cancer

This notice in written in Swedish. Anyone who can translate care to elaborate for us?

http://www.rme.nu/sites/rme.nu/files/inbjudan_gbg_2010.pdf

A general notice in English put out by XMRV Global Action is available here:

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=166167140090207

Time Thursday, December 2 7:30pm - 10:30pm

Location Gothenburg, Sweden

Created By XMRV Global Action

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

More Info ME/CFS Seminar with Dr. Judy Mikovits (USA), Prof. Jonas Blomberg (Sweden) and Dr. Barbara Baumgarten (Norway). A dvd will be recorded of the seminar. See link for program and registration.
Thanks to Helle Rasmussen for the link

shannah

Thanks Zippy.

Excerpt:

"Developing new tests

He (Blomberg) has found a suspected case among 85 tested Swedish fatigue patients and 11 cases among healthy blood donors.
The same retroviruses have also been found in prostate cancer. In mice, the virus can make autoimmune diseases and leukemia.

The pharmaceutical industry working hard to develop good tests for the detection of retrovirus in humans. Such tests may be on the market in five years. "

Well, isn't that special... something to really look forward to when many have been hanging on by a thread for the last 15 months. He had better be wrong!

shannah

I think this is the first time that I've seen an official statement that Judy Mikovits is in favour of trying antiretrovirals, although reading between the lines previously, it seemed she was heading in that direction. Unfortunately, the only hold up seems to be funding.

Researchers want to test HIV medicine against fatigue syndrome, Dagens Medecin
by XMRV Global Action on Saturday, December 4, 2010 at 2:12am.2010-12-02RIKSSTMMAN 2010

According to new research may chronic fatigue syndrome caused by a virus. Now want researcher Judy Mikovits test whether the hypothesis is by treating patients with antivirals.Judy Mikovits. Photo: Magnus Gotanda

It was in October 2009 by U.S. researchers showed that patients with the controversial diagnosis of chronic fatigue syndrome, also known as myalgic encephalomyelitis, largely were infected by the human retrovirus XMRV, in contrast to healthy controls.

The study, published in the journal Science, attracted much attention. Among other things, the debate about whether individuals who have the virus should receive donations.

While the findings could not be repeated in several other recent published studies. But that does not mean that there is no connection, according to Judy Mikovits, one of the researchers behind the original study.

─ It requires very sensitive methods to detect XMRV in the blood and in several of the studies in question have only used a single method, while we used more. In addition, there have been so that the patients actually had chronic fatigue syndrome, according to the criteria we used, "said Judy Mikovits at a symposium today at the meeting.

She also referred to a study by another research group, published in the journal PNAS, which found a relatively similar context as her own group did.

─ And, according to preliminary data from a British materials, we see similar results in our original study, "said Judy Mikovits.

During the symposium pointed out, however, Annika Linde, state epidemiologist in the Infectious Diseases Institute, the results so far must be interpreted with caution.

─ Orakssambandet between XMRV and chronic fatigue syndrome is far from clear. It could possibly be that there is disease in itself that activates the virus that may have been sleeping in the genome, and not vice versa. Now we need to include large-scale epidemiological studies to study the spread of the virus, "she said.

Judy Mikovitz and her colleagues hope to start a treatment study of patients with chronic fatigue syndrome who are infected with XMRV. The idea is to use the already approved anti-retroviral drugs against HIV.

─ It is shown in test tube experiments that such drugs can reduce the replication of XMRV, which provides a basis to test it on patients. If this would have an effect on their symptoms, we have indirect evidence of a causal relationship. We are ready to launch a clinical trial, but at present we lack the funding, "said Judy Mikovits Dagens Medicin.

Read also: Retroviruses linked with chronic fatigue syndrome Carl-Magnus Hakecarl-magnus.hake @ dagensmedicin.se

google translation of http://www.dagensmedicin.se/nyheter/2010/12/02/virus-misstanks-orsaka-sju/index.xml

maryb

iherb code TAK122
just our luck:(

''We are ready to launch a clinical trial, but at present we lack the funding, "said Judy Mikovits Dagens Medicin.

eric_s

It's too bad, but at least if one of the upcoming big studies turns out to be positive there should be enough funds available and clinical trials will probably happen quickly.

I would like to know what it would cost the WPI. Probably there would be enough people willing to donate, but it might be smarter to wait for a couple more weeks or months, even if it's very uncomfortable.

What i find very interesting is that Dr. Blomberg, at least to me, sounds quite positive about XMRV in CFS (apart from the 5 years timeline, but i don't think that's accurate), in the couple of articles that where published in the last couple of days. He could not confirm it in his study but he's not one of the "contamination/there's nothing there-group". Maybe he knows more now, but is not able to share it.