• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Microbiome Affecting Memory T-cells

Wishful

From: https://newatlas.com/healthy-microbiome-natural-cancer-fighting-cells/60377/

"We found that in the absence of microbiota, killer T cells failed to survive as memory cells. The reverse was true in mice with microbiota that we fed a high-fiber diet, akin to eating All-Bran or muesli. Here we found that more production of particular metabolites by the microbiota enhanced the ability of killer cells to survive and form memory cells."

The metabolites in question are short-chain fatty acids (SCFAs), and the team found that these can infiltrate the body's lymph nodes and spleen to influence the way the T cells use their energy, allowing them to sustain themselves for longer."

Interesting, and a possible link between our microbiome and ME. Maybe our t-cells get starved and instead of dying, forget what they're supposed to trigger on and attack native cells instead? Just wild speculation.

S-VV

Ok, enough...

It's time for you to reveal the recipie that eliminated your type IV sensitivity.

After a few bathroom trips, well all be cured :)

Wishful

Alas, there was no recipie. I don't even remember what kind of curry I used. The special ingredient was a can of cheap Chinese coconut milk. I thought the yellow tint was due to being cheap on bleaching. It didn't smell bad...

While looking up short-chain fatty acids, I came across an interesting paper about herbal remedies and their effects on production of SCFAs in the gut: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6265305/ Those interested in microbiome modulation might find it useful.

My diet is already high in whole grains, so I'm probably producing plenty of SCFAs...but it hasn't made a significant difference in my ME. A change in diet might help some PWME, but I sincerely doubt that the cure for ME is eating All-bran for breakfast.

I'm convinced that the type IV sensitivity was just a secondary aspect of ME. While I accidentally cured that sensitivity, I'm still stuck with ME.