• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of and finding treatments for complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia (FM), long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Michael Crawford "fought off ME"

SilverbladeTE

hm, great how rich and famous can "fight it off" eh? ;)
least they treat HIS illness with respect

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/theat...me-to-make-wizard-comeback-to-the-west-end.do

Michael Crawford: I fought off ME to make Wizard comeback to the West End
Alistair Foster, Showbusiness Correspondent
7 Feb 2011

Michael Crawford has overcome the crippling condition ME to make his return to the West End stage tonight.

The 69-year-old performer has been away from the theatre world for almost six years, since leaving his role in The Woman In White due to ill health.

He is expected to make a triumphant return in Andrew Lloyd Webber's new production of the Wizard Of Oz tonight after fearing his career had been cut short by the debilitating illness.

He collapsed after a performance in 2005 and after numerous scans and tests, he was diagnosed with the post-viral condition myalgic encephalopathy (ME). He told the Standard: "I did think my career was over. I had no idea if I was going to get better or not. It was inexplicable. I kept trying everything - I changed my diet, tried different herbs, but it really came down to not putting pressure on my life.

"I moved out to New Zealand to live as I thought the warmth and peace and quiet would help me. I went away and changed my whole life routine. I took the pressure off, and when I was tired I just stopped. I was lucky as that is something you can't really do in every day life."

The Some Mothers Do 'Ave 'Em star, who was in the musical Billy for two years, Barnum for four years and Phantom Of The Opera for four years, said at the height of his illness he was exhausted by around 4pm each day. But as he relaxed into his new lifestyle of sailing, fishing and playing with his five grandchildren, he gradually found himself with more energy.

"I spent a lot more time with my family and my grandchildren," he added. "You learn so much from them and they had a lot to do with my recovery. Playing around in the pool with them, I had such fun. My recovery just seemed to happen slowly when I had taken my mind off things."

Lord Lloyd-Webber had tried several times to coax Crawford out of his hiatus, but only succeeded when the role of the Wizard cropped up.

He said: "I had to think for a long time over this offer. In the end I felt it was too good to turn down.

"It's not a massive role, but I'm quite happy doing this, and I will see how it goes. I really didn't realise until I got back the work that goes into a performance. You're like an athlete - if you haven't been practising things tighten up. I had to do a lot of practice work, but I got through it. Even when I was 21 I would have a 40-minute nap on the day of a show, and I will still do that. But it's been so far so good."

Crawford has signed up for a six-month run in the Wizard Of Oz, which will begin previewing at the London Palladium tonight.

with thanks to Enid who discovered this article :)

Desdinova

He collapsed after a performance in 2005 and after numerous scans and tests, he was diagnosed with the post-viral condition myalgic encephalopathy (ME). He told the Standard: "I did think my career was over. I had no idea if I was going to get better or not. It was inexplicable. I kept trying everything - I changed my diet, tried different herbs, but it really came down to not putting pressure on my life.

"I moved out to New Zealand to live as I thought the warmth and peace and quiet would help me. I went away and changed my whole life routine. I took the pressure off, and when I was tired I just stopped. I was lucky as that is something you can't really do in every day life."

Hum... theres that word again Encephalopathy 'Sigh'. While the guy might really have ME and just be in a remission. The article makes it sound like ME is just a case where someone is at the point of total mental, emotional and physical burnout and a Common Cold, Simple Flu or something else pushes them over the edge into ME. Really nice how they make it sound simple to the uniformed, ill-informed or misinformed. Doing so makes the public think that it's simple to recover given enough time if someone really wants to.

I'd have thought that those with more money would be more able to recover. Money makes everything easier, and since getting more money from disability benefits I've found it much easier to manage my energy and get some real (I think) overall improvements.

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
he is 69 yo, and alot of people that age have to have naps during the day, im not saying he doesnt have ME but theres not alot of info there on how he got sick like from ebv or something, so it could be a combination of age and burn out. Also i think with age it must be harder to get treated as doctors would just brush you off as getting old. When u look up ME info, people dont recover from ME unless theres a viral or infectious cause that responds to antivirals or antibiotics, so if he has recovered from ME theres something he's not telling us, buggers probably on ampligen, he could afford it too. To have money can definately help in that reguard.

cheers!!!

taniaaust1

I too think he may be in remission, he'd best take care and it sounds like he's doing that.

Good article i thought as brings up the viral connection and the fact it was a serious thing for him.. he actually collapsed and had to move and change his whole life. I do think that does make it sound serious.

Heapsreal, I had a remission myself for a few years. Cheney also talks about his patients having remissions but then getting it come back, its not an abnormal pattern with this illness

Wayne

In general, I thought it was a terrible article. It makes it sound like a nice long vacation of avoiding stress, sailing and playing with the grandchildren will cure you.

If he really has ME/CFS, he might find that this role will make him relapse.

Ditto Caledonia. This part of the article stuck out for me: "at the height of his illness he was exhausted by around 4pm each day. But as he relaxed into his new lifestyle of sailing, fishing and playing with his five grandchildren, he gradually found himself with more energy."

Don't most with ME wake up exhausted? And isn't sailing, fishing and playing with grandchildren out of the questions for an "average" person with ME. Sounds to me that if he did/does have ME, then it's probably a relatively mild case, and he found effective ways to control his symptoms.

I thought it would have been nice for him to mention how fortunate he felt, given many others (most?) with ME are way worse than what he ever experienced, and have never been able to recover despite trying just about everything for decades to do so.

The one positive thing was when they made a connection to a virus, and that ME is a post viral syndrome. Not necessarily scientifically accurate, but probably good for the general public to take notice of.

I wish him success as he tries to make his comeback.

Wayne

moblet

Unknown Quantity
It makes it sound like a nice long vacation of avoiding stress, sailing and playing with the grandchildren will cure you.
Not that this is a bad thing. Perhaps this could become standard health policy, we all get to take a holiday in paradise indefinitely, and no one is allowed to cause us any stress. I think that's better than the deal we get now.

August59

Daughters High School Graduation
A lot of the people that have money and then come down with ME avoid the diagnosis because of the ME/cfs stigma. They can push off the diagnosis for years and I'm sure they are hoping that things will change, but it hasn't yet!

Nielk

A lot of the people that have money and then come down with ME avoid the diagnosis because of the ME/cfs stigma. They can push off the diagnosis for years and I'm sure they are hoping that things will change, but it hasn't yet!

I don't see how having money affects the progression of this illness. I have spent so much money (accumulated over the years) to try all kinds of possible remedies. I think in a way this illness is an equalizer. Whether you have money or not, if you are stuck in bed, with agonizing pain how does having money help you?
I think it's natural to fantasize that "if only I had money, I could solve my problem and get better".
I don't think it works that way.

I don't expect having money helps really in any way with treatment, but to be able to totally relax and not have to think about paying the bills must take away one of the main stress factors that most of us have to live with on a daily basis.

I think this article is a bit of a double edged sword - their description of ME / CFS as a debilitating illness is refreshing, but they don't actually make it clear in so many words that he is in a remission, which he almost definitely is if he has ME. He even says "we will have to see how it goes"

The headline I think is just preposterous. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to just fight it off and get on with our lives! Just typical tabloid journalism.

Nielk

I don't expect having money helps really in any way with treatment, but to be able to totally relax and not have to think about paying the bills must take away one of the main stress factors that most of us have to live with on a daily basis.

I think this article is a bit of a double edged sword - their description of ME / CFS as a debilitating illness is refreshing, but they don't actually make it clear in so many words that he is in a remission, which he almost definitely is if he has ME. He even says "we will have to see how it goes…"

The headline I think is just preposterous. Wouldn't it be nice to be able to just fight it off and get on with our lives! Just typical tabloid journalism.

I agree with you Scarlett. The added stress of how to pay the bills and getting adequate help is a major problem. It probably aggravates the condition. I didn't mean to belittle that fact. That major stress can make even a healthy person sick.
It's not like I'm swimming in money but thank God my husband still works (though I can't anymore) and I don't have to worry about the daily expenses. I don't know what I would do if we didn't have that income. I don't think I would be able to handle that extra stress! I feel very guilty about moneys that I have wasted trying to improve my condition with no success. I feel for everyone out there who has to struggle with this every day. That's why there is such a terrible need for more funding so that they can come up with an answer for all of us.

Wishing you well,

Nielk

Hi Nielk, you didn't come across as though you were belittling the stress, don't worry! I was just responding in general to the article and the idea that having money somehow helps people 'recover'. Yes, it's hard work having to deal with the financial impact of the illness, both for people who have money and people who don't, every situation has its own difficult decisions and challenges. There's really no need to feel guilty about using the resources that you have at your disposal to try and help you get better! Yes, hopefully one day soon there will be a discovery that gives us the recognition and acceptance we need in order to help people dealing with these stresses. We can't all go off to New Zealand and go fishing!

Nielk

Hi Nielk, you didn't come across as though you were belittling the stress, don't worry! I was just responding in general to the article and the idea that having money somehow helps people 'recover'. Yes, it's hard work having to deal with the financial impact of the illness, both for people who have money and people who don't, every situation has its own difficult decisions and challenges. There's really no need to feel guilty about using the resources that you have at your disposal to try and help you get better! Yes, hopefully one day soon there will be a discovery that gives us the recognition and acceptance we need in order to help people dealing with these stresses. We can't all go off to New Zealand and go fishing!

lol!
You are very wise Scarlett.

Nielk:hug:

Absolutely the "stigma" part is so true; especially people in a visible public view, where their career may be affected. once it's known that you are sick, people just drop away. so he's now doing some public relations control in hope that others don't drop him from his employment or social circles.

That he didn't speak out isn't surprising; there really isn't a full-fledged public figure who has yet come forth and acted as an advocate. the public at large has no idea of the true magnitude of this disease, and that's a big part of our current political problems.

Nielk

Nielk- I have an apology to give to you - I called you NEIL in another thread i think! Really sorry! I don't even know why i got that wrong... :confused:

Angela,

Don't sweat it. Everyone does. I don't even notice it. It's not even my real name but, don't tell anyone.;)

heapsreal

iherb 10% discount code OPA989,
I don't see how having money affects the progression of this illness. I have spent so much money (accumulated over the years) to try all kinds of possible remedies. I think in a way this illness is an equalizer. Whether you have money or not, if you are stuck in bed, with agonizing pain how does having money help you?
I think it's natural to fantasize that "if only I had money, I could solve my problem and get better".
I don't think it works that way.

My thinking is that money is going to help in paying for ampligen or valcyte or xyrem, these treatments costs thousands per month and way out of my league thats for sure. here in australia we dont have insurance like in the USA where they cover these costs, it would be all out of pocket

Nielk

My thinking is that money is going to help in paying for ampligen or valcyte or xyrem, these treatments costs thousands per month and way out of my league thats for sure. here in australia we dont have insurance like in the USA where they cover these costs, it would be all out of pocket

It's really lousy how they don't cover anything in some countries!
I guess we have to appreciate here what we do get.
For example when I was on Xyrem, my insurance company covered it. I would not have been able to afford it. the cost is exorbitant! Valcyte is also covered by my insurance. I have a prescription for it but, I'm afraid to take it because I hear
conflicting reports. the fact that it could make my condition worse scares me too much. Ampligen - I've been considering
because even though we can't get it here in the US because it doesn't have FDA approval, my doctor is starting a study
for Hemispherx for ampligen. It's an open study which means the patients have to pay for the cost. I have been reading
a lot lately about Ampligen and I know a couple of people on this forum have been helped greatly by this drug but others
have had really bad side effects. I don't know if I want to take a chance and the cost is really high, so I probably will not do it.

I understand though that at least I have a choice in the matter and many people don't and it's not fair.
When I mentioned spending a lot of money on possible remedies, I was referring to all kinds of alternative medicines and
those are not covered by insurance.